Forum

Post subject: £7 Helmet cam
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:40 am 
Off to Morzine next week and I've been after a head cam for a while now, I've no desire to strap something costing £400 to my head and go flying down a mountain so i was looking in the £30 - £40 range, a few users recommeded the 808 'Spy' Cam which I got on Ebay for £6.95.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160611820205? ... 1423.l2649

And I'm quite impressed so far, it records at 720 x 480 res, although for £27 there is a 1280 x 720 version.

Video looks pretty good, been riding over Hadleigh Castle last week and simply velcro'ed the cam to the top of my helmet, my normal road/XC helmet recorded great, tried it on my full face one (Spesh Deviant) and needed a bit of adjusting to get it to the right angle, it initially pointed to much at the ground.

I bought a 4GB card for it (£7) which should hold about 55 mins, which will be enough to record a few runs in morzine/Les Gets and I'll post up the results.

Andy

Post subject: Re: £7 Helmet cam
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:17 pm 
I looked at Techmoan his channel good on youtube website too reviews.
Video here on true 720p key cam

I got a DVR D011after thumb cam M80, found better colour then my thumb cam. All these cheap camera footage not going to be great. Even after running video through Deshacker & timestamp also quality is down to card read speed Class (6) or above. Price still hi for a 32gb card :evil:

Footage - Can't polish a turd ;)

Have a good trip Morzine * wait for videos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:01 am 
Well..Trip was amazing, weather lovely and spent nearly every day either coming down Mount Pleney or in Les Gets, getting the hang of jumps and the table tops on the Red Run.

Anyway, the £7 cam was ok, bit wobbly picture and certainly didnt like the dark, it filmed better on the open runs as opposed to the ones in the woods.

Laptop is playing up at the mo, so heres video taken by friends GoPro Cam..very impressive picture... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8HKbU2vRlo

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:23 pm 
Lol... "Directed by [Enter your name here]"

:) :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:08 pm 
SurferEv wrote:
lol... "Directed by [Enter your name here]"

:) :)

Ha..Yeah..Windows Movie Maker adds that by default, wasnt much directing involved, just strap on camera, hold on tight, squeeze ya brakes and hope you make it to the bottom :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:04 pm 
Andy, great vid in biking bliss.....if i didnt know i would have said that was a gopro fella. Did you have a chest mount?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:42 pm 
Bought the same head cam and a 16gb sxandisk card in another website. The card arrived and it was too big but I can keep it for my canon cam. Then bought another micro sd and it's too small :wtf:
Now it's stuck well inside the head cam and can't remove it!

--------------------------------------
My sponsor in Spain
http://aplbike.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:18 pm 
Emmm... it was a GoPro... lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:34 pm 
Sorted!!

My sponsor in Spain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:19 pm 
Nice riding and a great vid! Conditions look perfect :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:16 am 
Cam wasnt mine, it was friends (I'm other guy in front at start who quickly gets overtaken..ha) and yes on chest mount, took a few runs and adjusting to get it looking good, first few were look too much at the ground...and yep weather great, storm when we arrived and when we left but lovely inbetween........wanted be back there now instead of London office !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:51 pm 
Ok..Finally got the £7 cam vids off my laptop.

See them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwvpZZH3YY4&NR=1

and here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7A2DP1t ... re=related

Obviously dont compare to the GoPro ones but I'm pretty please, tempted to try the HD one which Ive seen for £25.

Andy

Post subject: £7 Helmet cam
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:56 pm 
I got one of these cams as well, unfortunately I pushed the memory card in the wrong way and it found itself inside the casing. I opened it up and broke the bloody mic so it works but with no sound.
The hd one looks pretty good mind.

Specialized sx trail 2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:09 pm 
Matt, I had the same problem but luckily I didn't break the mic. However, the quality is horrible, much worse than andydd clips. Maybe it was not mounted on my helmet tight enough

It also stops recording whenever I stand still for a while. Have to find out

My sponsor in Spain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:19 pm 
Sarpullido wrote:
Matt, I had the same problem but luckily I didn't break the mic. However, the quality is horrible, much worse than andydd clips. Maybe it was not mounted on my helmet tight enough

It also stops recording whenever I stand still for a while. Have to find out

There is a website all about the cams, there are many diff versions, some better than others, although reading it mine appears to be a version #11 which isnt as good as earlier ones.

The quality is horrible in dark places, it just cant focus and all goes blurry n wierd, that why the runs out in the bright sun in Les Gets come out good comapared to the runs on Mt Pleney in Morzine which are mostly in the woods.

I had mine velcroed to the top of my full face and was quite secure I guess, and yep think it does turn itself off although I used to just switch mine on at begining of run and off when I'd finished, 10 mins or so and it didnt turn itself off then.

The audio is horrible, a real wind noise even at very low speeds, the GoPro is almost silent and is supposed to be not effecting untill 100mph, which unlikley to reach on a MTB :crazy:

Andy