Forum

Post subject: Training/riding pre-breakfast
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:26 pm 
Anyone else struggle with it?

Usually I don't particularly but this morning got up, dressed, downed a couple of mouthfuls of Alpen to keep me going and headed out for about 15 miles. Not uncommon for me and I didn't feel over-tired, ill or anything.

But it was horrible. Felt like I'd got nothing in my legs.

Might be because I went off a bit quicker than usual (thanks to traffic on the first bit of road and nearly coming a cropper with a dozy driver), so didn't do my usual nice lazy 15 minute warm-up. Or might be just one of those days.

Felt a bit better in the last half of the ride but was still a bit disheartening and not really the start to the day I'd hoped for.

Anyone else regularly train early doors? Any tips? Or shall I treat the early rides as nothing more than a meander and go harder in the evening?

Any and all advice welcomed...

Jordan

Post subject: Re: Training/riding pre-breakfast
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:46 pm 
Don't necessarily get this for my riding but do in my rather active job occassionally.

As always, I take it that my bodies saying something. When this same thing happens to me I take an iron supplement for three days with a multivitamin, make sure that I drink a 1.5l bottle of water each day and stay away from caffeine.

Generally this makes me feel a bit more sorted out and sleep easier.

For riding- the day before I know it's going to be a biggie I eat a really simple and slightly protein favoured diet. I stay say from too many greens (don't want to do a yogi) and try not to do too much!

On the morning I always have 4 quorn sausages and a 100% fruit bar, sipping water on the way to the ride spot. During the ride I have a 500ml pepsi; having little sips every hour and save some for the drive home. Also I take a 1.5l water and drink regulary.

Seems to get me through.

By the way Alpen has added sugar so could well be given you a hypoglacemic dip in your sugar levels, and milk is really sugary too. Might be useful to aim for some porridge, healthy cereal bar or banana.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:41 pm 
I normally have dorset cereals, semi skimmed milk and a banana to start with. If the ride is going to be long and hard, the night before I have a carbs loading (pasta, rice) and avoiding as much fat and salt as possible. Fat from the unsalted nuts and eggs are good. I also add a little bit of spirulina powder.

I very often feel tired in the mornings when I haven't had much sleep the night before

--------------------------------------
My sponsor in Spain
http://aplbike.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:12 pm 
Thanks guys...

Embarrassingly, I checked tyre pressures tonight and the front was down to less than 15PSI. I think this had a lot to do with it!

It didn't feel like a low blood sugar thing (always No Added Sugar/Salt Alpen for me Dan! Dorset Cereals a good shout too Javi)
Just felt like pushing through treacle - which the semi-flat would explain! What a div.

I'll put it down to being bleary-eyed and distracted this morning.

Javi, what's the deal with spirulina?

And Dan, how do you stomach Pepsi during a ride!? Man that would do me no favours - too bubblicious!

Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:14 pm 
I find a pack a haribos and some turbo tango works great for me on Sunday mornings

--------------------------------------
"Dude, She called you fat.... "OH HELL NO, HOLD MY CAKE"