Forum

Post subject: Re: Just getting into downhill. Advice.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:12 pm 
Ok so a take it ur a bike guru! Witch is good because i need tyre advice next lol im looking at maxxis swamp things 2.5 for winter? Or wet screams but i have no idea, im goin on what iv seen other people riding with.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:36 pm 
Hey Reece. I was in your position some time ago, not too sure about how good my bike is to tackle downhill, or even XC for that matter. My first ride in epping forest 2 years ago went great and it performed exactly as I had hoped for. I had a Muddyfox sport full suss. Recently upgrading with a new frame and parts got me going to go even faster and set a demanding pace with my bike downhill. However, the point behind this is I don't own an expensive bike. Its a 6 year old marin, heavy and durable. All within student budget and mainly entry level parts (deore gearing, fox rear shock, old bombers, old mono M4s etc.). It's not the bike, it's the rider. I can vouch for that.

A pitch is a good ride. You'll be fine mate :).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:32 am 
Reece wrote:
I aint feeling a hardtail lol i find it hard enough keeping my feet on the pedles on a full sus lol there abit more bumpy than motocross bikes lol do you lot do group meets?

Have you got the rear suspension set up right?

Heres the EssexHerts video from Aston Hill, Sept 09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcaChKI2wDI

Check out the gallery for more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:44 pm 
Cheers for advice people. Im jumping on the downhill bandwagon........yeeeeeeehaaaaaaa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:22 pm 
Cool - a pitch will serve you well for ragging most UK terrain... ride it till you fell like your going to break it cos ur skills have you putting the bike in big hit situations... then go for more travel.

If u need it slacker and a bit more DH friendly whack a 20mm longer fork on the front like a 160mm

TBH that will give u a 160 150 which should handle pretty much everything. There was a guy pinning trails at Triscombe this weekend on a Pitch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:06 pm 
Ahhhhhhh macca pacca!

Well mine are 150 travel and seem to be doin ok. Im just going to ride it and progress on it, just waiting to go out with people who no what there doin someone can tell me if im any good, what not to do and what to do more of etc