Forum

Post subject: Franken Turner
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:48 am 
I was originally selling my Turner DHR but after a timewaster and some offers I realised it wasn't worth the hassle for the money I was going to get, along with I really wanted a lot of the parts on the bike for my other bike as they were new.

I'd seen a guy on Pinkbike that had put the rear end of a DHR ontop the front end of a Turner Rail and seeing as my other bike is a Rail I took the plunge onyl becasue I had to sort my gears out.

I put the rear end of the DHR in the Rail and realised the yoke was narrower on the DHR than the Rail so a quick measure and it turned out to be 5mm difference. Simple fix as the yoke was solid and acted as a massive spacer I just put 2.5mm of spacers on either side and bolted it up. Hit a small problem the bolt head now stuck out a little further so it hit on the chainring, as of now I haven't sorted it yet but it's a case of a washer each side should do the trick.

Now the shock needed replacing to something with a longer i2i, the original 165mm i2i shock meant the bike was seriously slack and low, so low the seat tube foulded the tyre under compression. I faffed around for a day working out waht I could get away with and get a sensible amount of travel without over doing it. I settled for 190mm i2i with a 50mm stroke and guessing it would give around 160mm travel, which is perfect and what I was aiming for. If anyone can confirm the travel with this setup that would be great. I got lucky on Ebay today and picked up a RP23 for £105 posted so hopefully have that fitted by early next week.

Going back to 24inch tyres, 26 inch just feel sluggish and look way too big for the frame. I know people don't see the point but when your short and like to move around on the bike sometimes 24 is the only way to go.

Future plans are to get some ofset bushes to slacken the bike a bit and maybe a dropper seat post.

The shock arrived today and to my amazement it had the correct bushing kit on so as of 5 minutes ago the shock is in the frame and initia reports are it works. The shock cears the frame and swing arm and cycing through the trave there is no contact.

All I need to do now is set the shock up and the main part of the project is compete.

I'll measure the the travel as well but from first impressions I'd say it's in the 160mm mark, which is perfect.

Post subject: Re: Franken Turner
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:16 pm 
Interesting! Are both wheels 24inch? What was the issue with the original rear end of the rail?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:06 pm 
A little update,

I've had a little ride through the forest on the bike and I've got some issues to sort out. First the drivetain makes a horrible grinding noise in 1-3 when I crank hard, not sure if its the missing chainring bolt, moving inner plate by the upper roller for the chainguide or chain alinement. Whatever it is I'll have a look at before I ride on Saturday, it's more irritating than anything else.

I let all the air out the shock and pushed it through the full length of travel and I have more than I thought, haven;t measured yet but it's upwards of 160mm but the chain seems fine through all the travel and nothing around the linkage area seems to be fouling.

The bike feels longer when sitting down but very short when standinh up, climbing is a pain, thatk god I have lockout in the rear.

The wide low bars are gone and the risers back on.

I've sorted the creaking in the headset, was worn bearings in the end just have to sort the bearings in the BB now as they have seen better days and the rear wheel bearings are long gone.

Otherwsie the bike rides great when out the seat, bottomless feeling to the rear end.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:28 pm 
Quite a beast!!
Is it 160mm up front

--------------------------------------
"Dude, She called you fat.... "OH HELL NO, HOLD MY CAKE"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:29 pm 
Brad wrote:
Quite a beast!!
Is it 160mm up front

150mm up front but the forks have had it so I've got a set of 36 Float RC2's on there way. They came off Ebay but the lower has a crack so the guy is fitting brand new 2011 lower, axle and seals all for £285 posted. If its all correct I'll be happy

I've finally got the gear routed internally again after it snapping, my OCD got the better of me and I couldn't stand the cable being on the outside of the frame. It did take 2 hours and my dads help but the ordeal is over.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:32 pm 
Another update.

I got busy with a hacksaw on the rear triangle, seeing as I had the Maxxis mod on the rear from when it was part of my ADH bike I wanted to make use but there was too much metal in front of it for the shock to reach.

Little cut here and there and a file and I now have my bike lowered an inch but not sure of the head angle yet, it's obviously slacker than it used to be. I'm hoping for 65 degrees or less.

Replaced every single bearing and the bushings.

Now for a fresh paintjob, anyone used Argos Cycles, I now there good but if I send them the frame will they mask and plug everything? Will they hack off the hose guides?