Forum

Post subject: Bike bags
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:04 am 
As you may off seen i am planning on going to cwncarn but seeing as part of the journey is on the underground i will have to put my bike in a bike bag as bikes are not aloud on underground trains.
I want to buy a bag that is as cheap as possible and what can fit a 180mm front and 200mm rear bike in. I dont know much info about these but do the wheels have to be put in separate bags and is there enough room in the bags to put all other bike gear

--------------------------------------
"Dude, She called you fat.... "OH HELL NO, HOLD MY CAKE"

Post subject: Re: Bike bags
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:20 am 
Bike bags usually come with wheel bags included (except the cheap ones so watch out on the price).

A friend of mine has this one: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=35557
which is really bigger then the usual ones (it fits a 200 mm boxxer).

I've got one similar to http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=23169 (this bag comes under a couple of different brand) which might be a bit of a tight fit with a 180 mm fork )

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:26 am 
I had a quick look as this could be a solution for me too. Had a look for Soft Cases bag
But what to do with bag at other end it not going to fold up small. :(

dhb one Measures 134x90x21cm

Would LU be fussy about taking something that big on tube.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:32 am 
Thanks for the info crash, i do like the look of the tifosi Bike Bag, does you friend have enough spare room in the bag to fit some bike gear in aswell?

I was reading on line and a lot of people just pack it in a box but to have the hassle of sliding around a giant box isn't attracting me at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:12 am 
Bradley, certain underground lines accept bikes such as the circle - check the TFL website.

the other thing you could do is cycle your bike across london. none of the major stations are that far and again the TFl website has a route planner for cycling.

getting a bike on an off tubes using a bike bag is always a last resort as carrying those things up and down stairs is not a pleasant experience.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:37 am 
Oh, i thought bikes were banned on the underground, thanks for updating me :)

I was looking for a bag as i thought it would be more difficult lugging around a bike and then a massive bag for bike gear.

Also having the bike in a bag is alot safer from it getting stolen as no one can grab it and ride off

As for cycling , to get to cwncarn, i would need to cycle from Liverpool street to London Paddington which would be a fair distance

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:48 am 
bradley27 wrote:
oh, i thought bikes were banned on the underground, thanks for updating me :)

I was looking for a bag as i thought it would be more difficult lugging around a bike and then a massive bag for bike gear.

Also having the bike in a bag is alot safer from it getting stolen as no one can grab it and ride off

As for cycling , to get to cwncarn, i would need to cycle from Liverpool street to London Paddington which would be a fair distance

its 5 miles on road??. in the city so probably faster by bike then by car

and what about a lock on the bike? if you reserve a spot for the bike in the train its mostly in a separate compartment (depending on train) you wouldn't manage to put a bike bag in there. bike bags in the hallway of the train are not great either.

we went by train from Bristol to Penzance with a 5 bikes and 20 (pannier) bags and trust me you don't want to be able to push your bike on its weels iso rolling a bike bag behind you. dont forget you'd have to carry the rest of you gear as well (full face, armour, tent)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:16 pm 
Hmm, maybe not using a bike bag would be a better idea, and just take a large rucksack and pannier rack bag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:57 pm 
Gladdice is right in saying that some lines do allow bikes. Take a look here:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling ... #section-1

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/bicycle-tube-map.pdf

I recently did Afan, its much the same - Ride to station and reserved train from there.

Otherwise, I have a bike bag that you welcome to try for size and use if you like?

http:www.ttspersonaltraining.co.uk