Forum

Post subject: Continental Supersonic inner tubes
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:12 pm 
Needed inner tubes and after some good reviews I went for these ones. They're extremely light (and expensive) and thought they'd be worth the money as reducing weight on wheels is better. Used them for first time last Thursday night ride at Epping Forest (fine, no probs) and planning to use them for today's race.

Anyway, first problem came when unscrewing the pump from valve, that also unscrewed the piece inside the main body valve (not the captive nut) releasing all the air. That was quite annoying and happened twice.

Today Sunday I was changing tyres for the race. It happened again. Then I tightened it with an adjustable spanner and hold base of valve with one hand very tight to allow tightening a little bit. Well, it worked (never unscrewed) but now air leaks from somewhere at the base of the valve (didn't have time to check properly as I was running late).

Had to get a spare one an leave home quickly. During the race I had a puncture on rear tyre (the one with Supersonics) and I think I've wasted some cash.

Going tubeless seems expensive and messy ouuch!! :roll:

Any recommendation?

My two cents :problem:

--------------------------------------
My sponsor in Spain
http://aplbike.com

Post subject: Re: Continental Supersonic inner tubes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:46 pm 
Go tubeless!
I used to buy those light weight latex tubes, yes they are faster but the grief they give isnt worth it!
They pinch flat a lot, and they also go down between rides, i'd pump them up for tuesday night rides then again sunday morning!

I set up my Mountain Kings as tubeless on friday, much better, roll better and lower pressure too! :8

Are your wheels tubeless ready? or do you still need to buy a rim strip? Either me or Clay could help you set it up the first time?

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:46 pm 
Ok, how do I know if I have the right rim strip? I'm going to do it on my Mountain Kings. What if it's too mudy? :p

My sponsor in Spain
http://aplbike.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:57 am 
I dont use a rim strip in mine as i have solid rims (CB ones have no nipple holes) i believe it has to be rubbery and seal the holes, also it might give a little ridge at the side for the tyres to seal against, but i cannot confirm this, give clay a shout on this score.

Bike piccys!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:56 am 
You might not need a rim strip if you have tubeless ready rims. The rim strip sits inside the rim all the way up the where the tyre head sits to create a seal and with the sealant it makes the edges airtight. Possible best thing I've changed on my bike, ditching tubes!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:40 pm 
What about puncture when running tubless, do you have to plug the tyre or are punctures a thing of the past?

I'd rather ride me bike than the Wife..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:16 pm 
A thing of the past, (if its a small hole that is) you do still risk ripping a sidewall, but i have never done this?

Bike piccys!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:45 pm 
Very tempted to do this as had sooooo many thorns in tyres recently. can anyone recommend a conversion kit?

I'd rather ride me bike than the Wife..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:29 pm 
Unless you split your sidewall, tubeless are fit and forget. Just top up with a syringe of sealant through the valve core every six months.
You do need to make sure you have the correct rim strip. Not all tubeless ready wheels come with the right rim strips. If your rims say they are tubeless ready there will be a specific strip for them. Mavics are UST and Bontrager are TLR.
And it's best to use the valves with removeable cores.

Tally ho lads over the top we go!