Forum

Post subject: What wheel set or hub change for this bike
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:36 pm 
Seriously thinking of changing either the wheels or hubs on my bike, currently has Sun ringle Ryde XMB wheels and there rear hub has a known fault (freehub self destructs) mine has done it once after only a few hundred miles from new and im currently 3 weeks in to a wait for a warranty replacement with no sign of it showing up soon! from what ive seen on the web its a very common fault and just keeps going as replacement is just the same as Sun ringle refuse to admit theres a problem. In fact Cube have now dumped them on there new bikes over it..

so currently using a cheapo borrowed wheel of the wifes bike so thinking to cut my losses and either buy a new rear wheel or a set or just a hub and have the rear rebuilt..

im thinking if i go for the hub only option it would be a Hope Pro 2 evo, but seems its not much more to buy one already built up on to a rim such as a Marvic etc, especially when to rebuild mine plus new spokes will be about the same price.

so if i go down the new wheel route ill have to get a pair so they match, if so im toying with the idea of going white rim black hub and spokes, or visa versa but worried it may be a bit chav so better to stay black rim/spokes and colored hub? have seen the Superstar components wheels sets that are available with a Techno lime hub that would match the green on my bike, they also do matching floating rotors and skewers..
http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php

heres a pic of the same bike as mine, i have all black tyres now no white wall..
what do you lot think

57167 by harrylessman, on Flickr

--------------------------------------
I'd rather ride me bike than the Wife..

Post subject: Re: what wheel set or hub change for this bike
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:40 pm 
The superstars look to be good value and the sets i have seen out on the trail have all been holding up well

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:52 pm 
I can get a pair of custom Superstars built with black marvic EX325 Rims, black Sapim double butted spokes with a choice of nipple colours brass.gold or red and the lime Switch Evo hubs for about £210 delivered for the pair or about £190 same spec but with there own make rims in white..

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:54 pm 
Have your wheel fitted with a Shimano freehub. They have a patented freehub, where the bearings are located close to the ends of the axle, so the axle is supported at the ends and very rarely suffer from bent axles.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:05 pm 
carl wrote:
Have your wheel fitted with a Shimano freehub. They have a patented freehub, where the bearings are located close to the ends of the axle, so the axle is supported at the ends and very rarely suffer from bent axles.

its not really cost effective to have mine rebuilt, looking at about 30-40+ quid labour plus hub plus spokes and nipples, works out about the same to get a new one built up which will also give me my original wheel/wheels when fixed as a spare or to sell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:10 pm 
Then your not thinking of changing the hubs as stated? Your looking at a couple of hundred quid for a pair of good wheels and hubs.It wont cost that to have a new hub in your existing wheel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:31 pm 
Emm im fooking undecided lol... and you no what thats like mate...

looking about £120+ to get my rear rim rebuilt with a new hub and spokes or a pair of new rims for about £210 but that would give me a spare set or a near new set to ebay...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:14 pm 
From experience avoid spokes that are powder coated the finish on them can get damaged easily. Black or silver is the way to go. Avoid the alloy nipples on mtb wheel builds too the brass ones are far less likely to brake. If you are going double butted we have found SAPIM seem to be the better value, if you are no bothered then we always use Halo.
Hopes stuff is always top of the list for hubs nice and simple and parts always available. i would put a hope in you rim as it already matches your bike.

www.ridetransitionbikes.co.uk