Forum

Post subject: Alas poor yorek. I knew him ratio!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:16 am 
Dear all and sundry

I am looking to change my chainring and cassette ratios.

One option is to use a single ring of about 28/32 with the possiblilty of using a road rear cassette with a Saint derailler. Reason being as I want the security of a single setup but still have a ratio that doesn't force my kneecaps out of their sockets every time I go up a slope, or totally spin out on the flat.

Second option is to have a dual ring setup, but not too knowledgable about what to use.

I will be looking at getting e*thirteen DH/AM cranks with Saint hardware. There's also a possibility that I will be changing my Hope Tech M4's (203mm) to Saint discs so any info would be appreciated.

On a personal note. sad to see the Athertons leave Commencal and hope that GT will sort their lives out and keep them world winners!!!!

Post subject: Re: Alas poor yorek. I knew him ratio!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:16 am 
I think if you are planning on going up as well as down you will want a dual ring set up. Single speeds are fine but unless you know what ratio you want you'll spend more money than you want on constantly changing your ratios. I run a 28/12 on my DJ bike and that's great for a little burst but hard work everywhere else. Too spinny on the road/flat and a bit too hard for steep stuff.

E-13/Saint combo is fine it will take a lot of abuse.

Hope's for saints, unless your concerned about saving a few grams, i really wouldn't bother, Hopes are nice and powerful only difference is they weigh in at a bit more. Why are you thinking of changing.

As for the Atherton's I think it will all work out........

--------------------------------------
Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:45 am 
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
Will look at a dual ring setup with the e*thirteens. Shame Renthal don't do shift rings just yet so I'll be limited to either Shimano and Race Face rings.

The Hope issue is just that I am a big lad and the Hopes have always rated less than the Saints. I had the C2's years ago and they were great stoppers. I'm sure you're right though!

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:52 am 
I've had Hope V2's on 180 floating rotors and they are great stoppers and reliable! Now run it on my dirt jump bike and that's a mint brake to run solo.

I've also got XTR M985 Trail brakes with Hope 160 floating rotors and I've not found these to be as reliable. I've had to have a new set due to leaking seals but am now on a new set and they seem a lot better and more reliable. I am going to change pads and rotors as the Hope ones are separating and i dont want to race it knowing that i might not have anything there if they separate completely!

With regards to rings, yeah RaceFace or E-13 are safe bets, but I would be tempted by a Faceface Atlas FR or Saint Dual ring set up if that's the way you want to go as CRC have them for goodf prices!

--------------------------------------
Identiti 4x Rider
www.identitibikes.com