Forum

Post subject: Fox Forks/Rear Shock Servicing
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:36 pm 
Just picked up my Lapierre from a service and the guy told me that my Fox fork and rear shock are due a service, as Fox recommend that this be done every 30 hours. I'll be honest I didn't believe him so got home checked the manual and yes, Fox recommend every 30 hours...WTF!
The guy also mentioned that they don't service them in-store, they send them off to a company called MOJO (the UK Fox service centre) to be done i.e I pay for the store to remove the fork/rear shock, pay for the MOJO bill to service them and pay again for the store to re-fit them.
Couple of questions:
1. What is peoples opinion about them actually needing servicing every 30 hours?...that will cost a fortune over a year!
2. Does anyone know somewhere that can service them in-store?

Post subject: Re: Fox Forks/Rear Shock Servicing
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:49 pm 
I suspect that if they are under warrenty then only mojo can service them to maintain the warrenty.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:17 pm 
The 30 hour recommended service interval seems to me to cover fox's arse in case of warranty issues gone bad and fox can say no because it hasn't been serviced. You can carry out the basic service on the shock yourself which I have done many times on mine. You can get a kit from Mojo with fox fluid and o rings that you can replace if needed. Just let all the pressure out of your shock and unscrew the can to check for damage etc, I think there are instructions on the mojo website but I'm sure if you go on youtube there are lots of vids for that and servicing your fork.
If it's a yearly service it might be worth sending it off but look around for advice and videos etc.

--------------------------------------
www.gw-designs.co.uk/home

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:02 pm 
The Fox recommeneded service intervals are here:

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/service_intervals.htm

Fox Forks are pretty easy to self service & maintain, as are the air rear shocks (coil shocks are not as easy to maintain at home - as they have nitrogen inside them - but don't need quite as much TLC).

There are really good, detailed, step-by-step, easy to follow service instructions and videos available here:

http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

there's also some good video 'how to guides' on Mojo Suspension web site e.g.:

http://www.mojo.co.uk/dustwiper.html

and as already mentioned there are some good web resources inc. video e.g.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/technical-tuesday-fox-float-service-2010.html

Mojo also sell the kits you need for the seal service and the fluids you need here:

http://www.mojostore.co.uk/

Remember the 30 hours is 'riding' time i.e. when the fork / shock is being used and the Fox 1 year warranty just states that the product needs to be 'properly maintained' -so don't think it's a problem to service at home as long as you follow their instructions

The alternative is that you can send stuff direct to Mojo and they normally turn it around pretty quick - 3-5 days; or once past warranty there's also TF Tuned:

http://www.tftunedshox.com/

hope that helps?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:55 am 
Blimey, I do about 30hrs most months on my Fox forks!

I'd rather ride me bike than the Wife..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:40 am 
Excellent reply, thanks northern.
been searching the web and home service apparently voids the warranty. also had a look though the how-to guides and don't think that I'm confident enough to do the service myself anyway and definitely not to remove the forks/shock.
just checked out evans lakeside and they also send the fork/shock off for servicing - its £150 all-in for both and that includes removing and re-fitting them. think i'll take this option.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:13 pm 
How can anyone justify £150 to remove, service and refit a shock and fork, dont know how much both cost to replace but at that cost if they last 3 or 4 years you would have £600 to be getting on with.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:40 pm 
As there Fox i would think there a good £1000+ to buy new, my Fox forks alone retailed at £580 last year when i bought my bike and Keith's are a dearer spec than mine..

I'd rather ride me bike than the Wife..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:01 pm 
I run fox and at £1000 for forks and £300 for shock to replace.
I think its its worth sending them off to Mojo every year or so for a service. They strip them down and rebuild them. So when they come back they are as good as new (new stickers and all). And I have had the same fork and shock for 5 years and they have had some very hard riding.

I don't see the point of paying for the best kit and not looking after it. As its not going to work as well as it should.

I would like to know which company Evans send the shocks and forks off too. As I wouldn't trust them to change an inertube.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:58 pm 
I sent my shock off to a company called Loco Tuning, great service and turn around. Setup by a guy who used to work for Mojo.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:37 pm 
AgentOrange wrote:
How can anyone justify £150 to remove, service and refit a shock and fork, dont know how much both cost to replace but at that cost if they last 3 or 4 years you would have £600 to be getting on with.

I service all my forks myself so know what's involved - sometimes its a pain in he arse.. fitting fox seals requires a £40 tool or you go ghetto and use a baby bottle like me lol - getting RS seal out requires a heat gun - each fork requires a different weight fork oil - crush washers, it makes a flippin mess, shocks often require weird tools like belt straps yada yada.

If Evans do what they say they do in this video http://www.evanscycles.com/servicing/su ... -servicing 150 for both fork and shock is good value. It is Evans however so im not sure u can always trust the advertising.

In my view learn how to get the lowers off and give everything a really good clean - easy and cheap, then once in a while send them off for the full strip down and rebuild.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:47 pm 
Marky wrote:
I run fox and at £1000 for forks and £300 for shock to replace.
I think its its worth sending them off to Mojo every year or so for a service. They strip them down and rebuild them. So when they come back they are as good as new (new stickers and all). And I have had the same fork and shock for 5 years and they have had some very hard riding.

I don't see the point of paying for the best kit and not looking after it. As its not going to work as well as it should.

I would like to know which company Evans send the shocks and forks off too. As I wouldn't trust them to change an inertube.

I guess when you look at it at that price its not to steep

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:34 pm 
I had my forks serviced by Evans once - lost about 25% of their travel until I got them serviced again by TF Tuned! From my (limited) experience I can't recommend Evans for this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:34 am 
Grips in Rayleigh service forks in house unless the fork requires a specific gas canister then they're sent off and normally have a 5 day turn around, if they service them in-house for you it you nromally get them back in two days, worth a phone call to see if they can do it for you !

Grips - 01268 776661

It doesn't matter what you ride