Forum

Post subject: Going full face with the urge down-o-matic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:06 pm 
Been thinking about getting a full face as im sure an over the bars moment is not far away im pretty set on the down-o-matic but wanted opinions on it from people that have or have had one. I read they size pretty small and the opening at the front is also small making getting goggles to fit tricky this true? Also one of biggest questions is are they value for money at £130 from CRC (which i dont mind spending on somethings that ultimately could save my face/life) they are not super cheap. Cheers for what ever opinions you have on them or any other suggestion people might have.

Post subject: Re: going full face with the urge down-o-matic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:27 pm 
Check this out mate, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=64133

£140 for a carbon lid!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:59 pm 
Don't have this lid personally but they're worth every penny you can afford, a full face that is!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:16 pm 
I have a mate who runs the urge and he loves it but realy a good helmet is one that fits your head shape well. Ive had troy lee, 661, and THE and they all fit sligtly diffrently. Each one ive had ended up with in a diffrent size as the mould shapes vary so much.

Post subject: Re: Re: going full face with the urge down-o-matic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:18 pm 
ggg wrote:
I have a mate who runs the urge and he loves it but realy a good helmet is one that fits your head shape well. Ive had troy lee, 661, and THE and they all fit sligtly diffrently. Each one ive had ended up with in a diffrent size as the mould shapes vary so much.

As ggg said, every helmet manufacture make a helmet that fit different. And depending on your head size and shape will have an affect on how well the helmet fits and this can affect how much protection it gives.
So try as many helmets as you can. And not just look at the looks and price. As most helmets have passed the same safety tests.
And if it's not a good fit it can do damage to your head and not stop it.

And remember IF YOU CRASH YOU NEED A NEW HELMET....
As the padding will not work as well a second or third time.

And trust me I have crashed a lot.... Both mountain bike (trees, rocks, ground) but also motorbike crashes (van, fence, road).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:25 pm 
I bought a full-face when I started dabbling in downhill, I thought I was being a bit of a plank at first as I don't exactly ride quickly....

Then had an over-the-bars moment at aston hill, and put a fairly significant gouge on the jaw part. No cracks or anything (just slid face first over some rocks), but it'd have ripped my lip open and maybe taken out a tooth or 2 if I wasn't wearing it :shock:

I went for a 661 Evo, I had the advantage of 2 mates with them, so I could try the fit beforehand. Even if a helmet is a fantastic deal, if it doesn't fit properly it's not worth buying!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:13 am 
Cheers for all the info lads. I know what you mean Chris im no where near the fastes guy and half of me thinks I will look like a right idiot, but like you said you went over your bars and the helmet really saved you.

Nice find Karl 140 for a carbon lid is amazing when you think how much a d3 is from tld

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:37 pm 
£100 fora carbon lid - 50% off.....

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=48299

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:33 pm 
unityjon wrote:

almost

Quote:
Carbon fibre mesh strategically positioned within fibreglass shell for lighter weight

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:51 pm 
unityjon wrote:

Remember don't buy on price but on fit.
Also don't blow your budget, then not have the money to replace it when you crash.