Forum

Post subject: Keen kiwi
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:00 pm 
G'day,
I'm 28 and have been living in North London since moving over from Wellington, NZ in 2010. Just starting out on a new rig and keen to get out of the city and on some trails sooner rather than later, bring on Summer! I'm likely doing some exploring round Epping this Easter - hope to bump into some of you soon.

sweet as

Post subject: Re: keen kiwi
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:28 am 
If you hook up with the guys riding epping they know their way around very well

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:31 am 
Hey Coney

We are heading on a ride in the surrey hills for a final ride before I go out to live in Wellington, would be great if you can make it and tell me about the best spots to ride on the other side of the world.

Joel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:39 am 
Cheers guys!
Joel I'd be keen to join you if the date suits - when are you headed down Surrey ways? Heard good things about that place!

I must admit that I haven't actually been mountain biking in Wellington since I was about 15 - I gave up to play other sports. But back then the firebreaks carved into the bush that run along the hills of the Hutt Valley were great fun and accessible without a car (good for me). A challenging climb up the hills, long, rutty and technical trails along the hills till you choose your path back down - mostly 4WD tracks. You've probably found this already, but there's since been development of a park up in Makara about 10kms out of Wellington central city that is pretty much Mecca for wgtn bikers now I hear. More info here! http://www.makarapeak.org, and more info on a competition worth checking out if you're into it: http://www.karapoti.co.nz. It's a beast though be warned!

You made a good choice of destination though mate - Wellington is great for it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:24 pm 
Hey coney.. Welcome aboard dude. Not much that's as knarly as NZ but we have some fun flowy stuff here. What sort of stuff do you ride?

Surrey Hills ride over here http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mountain ... t2123.html

Funnily enough the trails we were thinking of riding were ones scoped out by a bunch of kiwis who are now back home.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:47 pm 
Cheers Karve! Definitely keener on the fun flowy stuff - I've been off the bike for a long time and fancy keeping my collarbones in one piece - for the time being at least.

Bugger - I can't make the farewell ride on Sunday - thanks for the invite though you are a friendly bunch. I was thinking Friday for Epping, and maybe a midday ride either Monday/Tuesday - down for wherevers. Might keep an eye on the forum there's heaps going on!