Forum

Post subject: Water Bottle "boss" just spinnung in frame
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:21 am 
Hi

Day 3 of Bike ownership....

Tried fitting water bottle and the nut must have cross threaded a bit or more likey had mud inside the "boss" and this has caused the nut to lock, which in turn has caused the fitting to spin freely in the frame (3 day old Carve comp :(...)

The Suppliing Bike shop spoke to Spesh and they where not interested, and suggested banging it through into the frame and remving through the bottom :wtf:

At the moment i think we are going to try to and grip the "boss" with long nose pliers and force the bolt out then use araldite or simular and glue back

I have seen other posts regarding a Rivnut tool but this bike shop does not have one

Any other thoughts

Thanks

Stephen

Post subject: Re: Water Bottle "boss" just spinnung in frame
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:30 am 
You need to find a bike shop with a rivnut tool.
Bike trax have one and did mine.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:50 am 
You can do a few things, easiest method first is to use some Q-bond glue with bridging powder to lock the original boss in place again, this stuff is insanely sticky, like super glue on steroids and used to stick metal to metal etc

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Q-Bond-QB2-Strong-Adhesive-Repair/dp/B002XF4S6C I have some if you're anywhere near Southend ?

If that fails you'll need to gently ease the boss into the frame by putting a clamp around the screw head and under the frame and gently going it up so it doesnt squash the frame itself, then fish the nut out of the bottom bracket.

rivi nuts are fine, you can also use a captive nut or better still one of those nuts with a long shoulder that compresses as you do it up making it into a captive nut when its tight, and can i remember the damn name of them.,... aargghh !!!

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:53 am 
Thanks beardee

I gave him a call and he suggestion was to speak direct to spesh as its so new although he said it was fairly simple

Spesh have agreed to do it for me same day if the bike store just send the bike back for me

Will let you know how it goes

Thanks again

Stephen

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:54 am 
unityjon wrote:
You can do a few things, easiest method first is to use some Q-bond glue with bridging powder to lock the original boss in place again, this stuff is insanely sticky, like super glue on steroids and used to stick metal to metal etc

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Q-Bond-QB2-Strong-Adhesive-Repair/dp/B002XF4S6C I have some if you're anywhere near Southend ?

If that fails you'll need to gently ease the boss into the frame by putting a clamp around the screw head and under the frame and gently going it up so it doesnt squash the frame itself, then fish the nut out of the bottom bracket.

rivi nuts are fine, you can also use a captive nut or better still one of those nuts with a long shoulder that compresses as you do it up making it into a captive nut when its tight, and can i remember the damn name of them.,... aargghh !!!

Thanks for reply but I'm pretty poo at these sort of things so will go down the route of sending it back, as long as UK cycles will send it back for me

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:21 am 
Thats the easy option, i'd take it too to be honest but i'm pretty handy and like this sort of stuff so i just get stuck in (you only have to look at my motor's to see that LOL)

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:14 pm 
Is this a new bike?

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:00 pm 
nwmlarge wrote:
is this a new bike?

I picked it up Saturday brand new, I have spoke with Specialized and they will fix it as a gesture of goodwill as its classified as damage and this is only because I spoke to them direct

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:50 pm 
Forget the water bottle and get a hydration pack

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:52 pm 
carl wrote:
forget the water bottle and get a hydration pack

Lol, i think I will have to

Post subject: Re: Water Bottle
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 pm 
J3w3ll3r wrote:
nwmlarge wrote:
is this a new bike?

I picked it up Saturday brand new, I have spoke with Specialized and they will fix it as a gesture of goodwill as its classified as damage and this is only because I spoke to them direct

good i'd have backed it to them if they hadn't.
i'd like them to issue some paper work to the effect that it has been "fixed" to avoid any future issues.
when the bike goes back enclose the bottle holder so they can attach it professionally too ;)

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:24 pm 
What about a drip of solder the push screw\bolt in.
Or drill hole and use extractor set to undo with bolt pincher holding body of bolt.
(drilling will expand bolt into tread of frame I think then get a grip to undo.