Forum

Post subject: Re: Sat May 12th - 15th - Trip anyone?
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:53 am 
Booked Cwmcarn for the 13th. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:27 am 
Steve / Chris - Great stuff gents , old skool outing :thumbup:

stev-o wrote:
sorry paul and james but can t make it as i have to work now !! enjoy if you go ;)

No worries matey, see ya soon

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:34 pm 
Just got back................. Awesome awesome bloody fantastic...... write up to follow :D

--------------------------------------
Its easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:23 pm 
ninja wrote:
Just got back................. Awesome awesome bloody fantastic...... write up to follow :D

Too right mate. Cheers lads was a brilliant couple of days!!

Cwm was like a dustbowl from the top down and FoD too (except a biggish mud patch after the last big jump on the top part of the ski run before hitting the fireroad and some patches just before the carpark!!

So in Karve's spirit of write ups we have the following:-

1 When on an uplift trip start early not late then you dont have to hammer down the motorway to get the first uplift!
2 Respect to Ninja for doing the road drop at Cwm on the first run down without even seeing the steep landing!!
3 Respect to Chris for flying down the run too
4 Some serious speed to be had at Cwm in Dustbowl dry conditions
5 That first tight rocky switch back got me again after lunch!! Yet another classic full on roll over the handlebars LOL
6 Finally started hitting the road drop myself after never doing it on previous trips. Sweet as :D
7 Quality B&B 10 mins from FoD was a top move after Cwm!!
8 Take a torch when you go to a local pub in the middle of nowhere! Top food thou :thumbup:
9 FoD in the DRY is AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!! Yep got to say it again Bloody AWESOME.
10 Flatland to bottom part of Sheepskull and Flatland to bottom part of Ski Run were brillliant.
11 Really great group of friendly riders on the FoD uplift and be careful what you say as the Army guy found out when his cranks were wobbling all over the place at the drop off point after saying he was a mechanic and built bikes and didnt trust youngster mechanics!! Great bloke and rides in the Army downhill team and a seriously good rider. As I said on the day, respect to you fella!
12 Local riders are really happy to show you fast smooth lines, nice one ToD :thumbup:
13 Leave after completing all uplifts & take the A40 back from FoD, nice trip and cheaper on fuel with nice M&S shop on route with free food if you are lucky LOL ;)
14 Check your bike over after riding as I found out when i took wheels off and hub body and cassette parted company!!
14 Book more uplifts :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:51 pm 
Nicely put Grin,
Its by far the best 2 days ive had for absolute ages. Stayed sat eve at Pauls (thanks mate) we went to bed around midnight after a couple of fine ales... Got up slightly later than expected but with Pauls excellent driving and clear roads we got to Cwm in plenty of time.
I have to say the youtube vids dont give a very accurate view of the runs as they were nothing like the smooth I expected lol.
Having said that it was brilliant..... we did all the uplifts and by the end of the day we were getting faster.
Bone dry and absolutely glorious sunshine ALL DAY.
We then drove to the B+B which was excellent, nice rooms nice service and in a very picturesque place.
The bikes were safe and we went to a lovely pub for a few drinks and dinner. the rib-eye was gorgeous as was the ale, we had a good ol laugh before walking back in the dark with no torch (lol) to the lodge. I had a good sleep (for a change)
a lovely breakfast and 10 min drive to FOD where we all felt really fresh for the days riding.
15 runs in total....... cant say enough about it as Paul has already said...... Riders were so friendly and helpful... Cris is like a man possesed these days you just cant stop him you turn round and he is gone lol... Pauls riding has come on so much and following him a couple of times helped me over a couple of jumps I dont think I would of done on my own.. I kept messing the big one near the bottom where the muddy patch was until the last 2 where it felt like I actually had some control lol.... The bike held up really well apart from the leaking fork seal which started to get worse at Cym.
Thanks guys for an absolute beast of a weekend Im so frigging happy.....
Go tto go back soon and I think this year its more uplifts for me......... :high5:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:10 pm 
Awesomeness........ loving the stokage! :high5: Cant believe it was that dry. FOD is immense eh - always raining when I go though!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:54 pm 
Karve wrote:
Awesomeness........ loving the stokage! :high5:

Cheers Jon, was an exceptional couple of days !!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:36 pm 
Bit more to add!!

1 never leave your credit card in a Garage after buying fuel !
2 bike in bits on the stand getting some TLC , new goodies going on and waiting for shock/ fork to be returned after service
3 Loved my new 750 mm Easton Havoc bars!!
4 counting down to Triscombe goodness :)

Happy days indeed :D :D :D

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:44 pm 
What new goodies do you have?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:58 pm 
X9 derailer as i bent mine at Cwm during my 'off' moment LOL and X9 trigger just cause i wanted to upgrade from X7.

Boring but makes me smile as I am fitting them myself and cutting back the cable length (with new cable cutters :) ) as it was making shifting a bit tough with the cable bend at the front end.

Still tempted by a Ti coil as got a 400 and 450 and rode the 400 which was way better than the stock 350. Sag was spot on with full armour at 29%. Got the 450 for extra weight when in the Alps but not sure which way to go Ti for Alps or Ti for UK LOL. ALSO tempted with front Ti after lifting off the bike and feeling the weight bias to front end. Makes you think you could it too nose heavy with it to light at the back end?

Bike needed to be stripped as I have'nt greased those pivot nipples since i bought it and fills a bit stiff rather than nice and smooth. Got Juice bearing grease and grease gun on order :)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:09 pm 
Dude the bike is suuuuuper light as it is.. save the money on the coil and do something else with it. I have one on mine cos the frame is a tank!

Getting the shock pushed or upgrading the shock would give you a much better performance benefit ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:34 pm 
Cant think of anything to add, just echo ninja and grin's comments about what an awesome two days of uplifts that was.

cheers fellas :high5: :high5:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:39 pm 
Karve wrote:
Dude the bike is suuuuuper light as it is.. save the money on the coil and do something else with it. I have one on mine cos the frame is a tank!

Getting the shock pushed or upgrading the shock would give you a much better performance benefit ;)

Cheers fella, yep took that advice and getting it pushed equive at LocoTuning :D

Coil - totally hear you dude, so tempted with the better responsiveness of Ti but you are right, should think of upgrading the shock in due course tbh

Looking forward to riding it after the service :D :D

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:52 pm 
Grin wrote:
Karve wrote:

Cheers fella, yep took that advice and getting it pushed equive at LocoTuning :D

Coil - totally hear you dude, so tempted with the better responsiveness of Ti but you are right, should think of upgrading the shock in due course tbh

Looking forward to riding it after the service :D :D

Ahhhhhhhhhhh I want to go and buy the socom

ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:44 pm 
Ninja - I expect that SoCom wont be around for long at that price!!