Forum

Post subject: Epping Forest trail maintenance..
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:49 pm 
:shock:

Just recieved a flyer from Alison O'Connor, Community Laison Offcier at Epping Forest stating:

"Volunteers Workday in Hill Wood, High Beach, Sunday 20 February at Motor biker's Tea hut, Cross Roads, High Beach. Lunch included". Goes on to say "Get involved and help to maintain the Forest trails for cyclists, for wildlife, for you!"

Not sure if this means the singletrack or the bridleways or both.

Whilst trying to find copy of the flyer small enough to attach here I came acroos this map of epping forest

Post subject: Epping Forest trail maintenance..
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:08 am 
You'll probably get another in September inviting you to watch their JCB rip it's way through the trails and tear it up again. Lunch included.

--------------------------------------
I used to be a lot like you but now I'm only me

Post subject: Re: Epping Forest trail maintenance..
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:40 am 
SteelAl wrote:
Whilst trying to find copy of the flyer small enough to attach here I came acroos this map of epping forest

never realised it was so close to waltham abbey :shock: thats like a 10 - 15 min cycle from me

how far from there do you guys usualy meet ? never been able to make it there 'cos i thought id need a lift and never been able to get 1, but if its only a 25 min ride or so can get there easily (until i get lsot after waltham abbey :lol:)

--------------------------------------
http://www.adambannermedia.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:53 am 
banner999 wrote:
how far from there do you guys usualy meet ?

Most rides tend to start from the car park near the Epping Forest Centre at High Beach

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:20 pm 
trax wrote:
You'll probably get another in September inviting you to watch their JCB rip it's way through the trails and tear it up again. Lunch included.

So tru man - those things in one afternoon cause more damage than all the bikes do in a winter.

Any idea what exactly these guys do and if they actually have any expertise in trail management - ie understanding drainage - there are a few areas which are boggy as hell in winter which with a small bit of shore or management would never get wrecked.

banner - lots of epping rides but mainly at night at the mo - keep an eye out though cos as summer approaches more cheeky daytime epping riding goes on

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:33 pm 
I understand this is action as a result of the Epping Forest Cycle Forum which was launched a few months ago. Basically City of London invites cyclists to attend forums to discuss any issues in relation to cycling in Epping Forest as an ongoing action plan to engage with all users and not just golfers and horse riders. (last bit is my add on).

Thereofre those going to the dig will be keen cyclists and I assume the whole thing will be project managed by a City of London ranger.

I haven't gone to a meeting yet as they always clash with my trips to Wales or the Lakes so can't say what issues are discussed. Anyway I think it is a good thing and if this trail maintenance continues I think it will be great as there is a lot that can be done over the winter months to make summer riding that much better such as:

Filling in the huge holes full of water that never dryout
Cutting back the vegitation to you can get a good flow going
Putting in drianage again to stops the trails getting too boggy.
Putting it little bridges at all those annoying ditches so peopel don't then throw in a pile of branches, block it and then flood the trail turning into a year round bog.

I understand some would disagree.