Forum

Post subject: New bod braintree!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:40 pm 
Im an old bmx er (42.5) BEEN MTBING SINCE MAY dont know any of the lingo xc,trail etc ..im riding specialzed rockhopper expert been up high beech a few times from leytonstone via chingford golf course was ment to be riding london to brightln off road on 22nd but everyone has pulled out and dont wanna fly solo !
would love to get input to get confident enuf to try some jumps but still learning on this machine!

--------------------------------------
trees dont move!

Post subject: Re: new bod braintree!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:44 pm 
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:20 am 
[quote="luvinit"]was ment to be riding london to brightln off road on 22nd but everyone has pulled out and dont wanna fly solo !
/quote]

I was considering that at one point but found out about it a bit too late and couldn't fit it in with other plans. Perhaps next year we could get a few from here doing it??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:36 am 
Welcome from another ex-bmx'r its a steep learning curve with these big wheels and cogs !!!

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:08 am 
VonROOKe wrote:
luvinit wrote:
was ment to be riding london to brightln off road on 22nd but everyone has pulled out and dont wanna fly solo !
/quote]

I was considering that at one point but found out about it a bit too late and couldn't fit it in with other plans. Perhaps next year we could get a few from here doing it??

that would cool they do another one london to southend as well i fancy both next year ...i think they ar more endurance than thrills but defo fancy em!

good cause as well!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:45 am 
luvinit wrote:
im an old bmx er (42.5) BEEN MTBING SINCE MAY dont know any of the lingo xc,trail etc ..im riding specialzed rockhopper expert been up high beech a few times from leytonstone via chingford golf course was ment to be riding london to brightln off road on 22nd but everyone has pulled out and dont wanna fly solo !
would love to get input to get confident enuf to try some jumps but still learning on this machine!

Wlcome :)

Seems jumps are sometimes thought of the ultimate in mountain bike riding and IMO some people are a bit too keen to try them, maybe this explains the number of people carted away from Danbury with various broken bones, I dont really think the table top there is a good place to start.

Personally Im not much of a 'jumper', although I can handle medium sized jumps/drop offs, my recent trip back to Morzine I got some great tip from friend Paul (and from trip before from Grin/Paul and Krash/Joost on here) and I really progressed in terms of speed/confidence/berms/cornering and Im in no real hurry to get 10 foot airs.

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:18 am 
Mountain bikes do fly completely differently to BMX's due to the huge gyroscopes they have hanging off them !!

I attended a skills course held by Jedi on here and he managed to get the old BMXer in me to show its head again on just that simple days course, really want to do the Jumps and Drops course he has to milk it a little more !! jumping off/over stuff is fine but its rubbish if you cant add a little style to it !

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:14 am 
Most of the jumps I have ever done have been unintentional !!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:16 am 
VonROOKe wrote:
Most of the jumps I have ever done have been unintentional !!!

and it helps if you stay on your bike ! :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:29 pm 
Hi and welcome!

The best possible thing you could do is contact Tony at UK Bike Skills. Book yourself in for a course and I promise you will progress at your own pace but far quicker (and safer) than heading to Danbury etc and not fully committing as you start a 'section'. I ve seen Tony twice. I couldnt jump in a straight line, my left foot would always be the first point of contact with the ground soon after taking off!! End of 1st visit was clearing a 'double' and end of 2nd visit was clearing 6' gap jump and 3' timber drops. Tony's nickname 'Jedi' is fully deserved! The best £ and time you will invest into MTBing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:53 pm 
Thanx guys
A for the welcome
B for the tips
i only have rockhopper expert with spd pedals and a non full face helmet, really looking to get experience handling my machine then onward and upwards!
im in epping on wednesday this week if anyone about!

trees dont move!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:15 pm 
unityjon wrote:
welcome from another ex-bmx'r its a steep learning curve with these big wheels and cogs !!!

kinda got the cogs sussed taking a while to get used to the front wheel not moving as soon as i lift or turn it due to rockshox!

trees dont move!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:33 pm 
matttuk1 wrote:
Hi and welcome!

The best possible thing you could do is contact Tony at UK Bike Skills. Book yourself in for a course and I promise you will progress at your own pace but far quicker (and safer) than heading to Danbury etc and not fully committing as you start a 'section'. I ve seen Tony twice. I couldnt jump in a straight line, my left foot would always be the first point of contact with the ground soon after taking off!! End of 1st visit was clearing a 'double' and end of 2nd visit was clearing 6' gap jump and 3' timber drops. Tony's nickname 'Jedi' is fully deserved! The best £ and time you will invest into MTBing.

sounds like good idea ...expensive?????

trees dont move!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:36 pm 
andydd wrote:
luvinit wrote:
im an old bmx er (42.5) BEEN MTBING SINCE MAY dont know any of the lingo xc,trail etc ..im riding specialzed rockhopper expert been up high beech a few times from leytonstone via chingford golf course was ment to be riding london to brightln off road on 22nd but everyone has pulled out and dont wanna fly solo !

Wlcome :)

Seems jumps are sometimes thought of the ultimate in mountain bike riding and IMO some people are a bit too keen to try them, maybe this explains the number of people carted away from Danbury with various broken bones, I dont really think the table top there is a good place to start.

Personally Im not much of a 'jumper', although I can handle medium sized jumps/drop offs, my recent trip back to Morzine I got some great tip from friend Paul (and from trip before from Grin/Paul and Krash/Joost on here) and I really progressed in terms of speed/confidence/berms/cornering and Im in no real hurry to get 10 foot airs.

Andy

thanx andy yep not guna rush into it need more time at speed learning handling techniques!

trees dont move!