Forum

Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:59 pm 
Hello all

I just started a job in central london. Looking to ride downhill (Aston etc). I had to sell my car now in London and really struggling to get up to Aston Hill.

If any groups are riding and I could tag along give me a shout. Or if anyone has any advice on how to get to downhill venues let me know! Renting a van is one option but really expensive, and trains etc don't look much easier!

Cheers!

Andy

Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:37 pm 
Where abouts are you mate? I ride aston hill a lot and drive there. I'm in Harrow, if you could get to mine then could give you a lift.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:48 pm 
Finchley central at the moment, so not far at all. that would be great if ya could. When are you next thinking of going?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:27 pm 
Hi! :wave:

Aston hill is pretty accessible by train! You can go to either Wendover or Tring (from Marylebone and Euston respectively), both involve about a 3 mile cycle at the other end, but it's very do-able!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:43 am 
Got any Zipcar's near you ?

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:38 am 
Yeh looked at the train would have to ride down to Euston or Marylebone which is around 6-8miles I think as you cannot take your bike on the tube! Zip cars would work out expensive for a full day.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:43 am 
Maybe keep an eye out for cheap van hire for the day ?

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:52 am 
Yeh going to look out for a good van rental firm. If anyone else is having problems getting about let me know. Renting a van between a few of people would more cost effective. Be great to ride with a few of you for a day. Every time I have been I have been riding alone, still had a wicked time though!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:15 am 
I used these guys for Van Hire

www.northgatevehiclehire.co.uk

BUT, they are more local to me than you. Having said that, they do deliver and pick up the vehicle from wherever you want if you can't collect it and drop it off yourself. I had a Transit from Friday am to Monday am for the Mountain Mayhem ride and it was £90, plus the Diesel I used. There's also a deposit that comes off a credit card, which is refunded straight back to the card when you return the vehicle (undamaged). Basically the vehicles come with a full tank and you drop them back off with a full tank - much easier than trying to figure out "at least a quarter of a tank" like some other rental companies. This means you only pay for the fuel that you actually use. Nearest one to you is Waltham Cross though, so it may be a bit far.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:59 am 
Thanks for the van advice, have found one in Barnet. Looks good as I could get the tube up there and then drive up. Will look into this. If anyone is going up over the winter and has some space let me know