Forum

Post subject: Wheel guru's....
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:41 pm 
I reckon its time i started to trim a little fat off the Alpine mk2 and thought i'd start with my wheels (rather than the rider !) i'm currently running Mavic EN521's on deore hubs front and rear based on reviews when i bough them about a year ago, the 717 (?) that replaced them at the time were virtually identical but a lot more money so i went with the tried and tested (like all the components of my bike)

Its fair to say i know jack shit about wheel/hub combinations but i'd like to try tubeless on High Rollers, i like to jump my bike as much as possible so what rims / hubs are worth looking at, i dont want DH specific boulder bashers, more something that will compromise and let me slogg it out XC but wont worry at places like Danbury/chicksands ?

I know budget is major factor, but lets forget that for now so i can get a feel of what i should be looking at !

gentlemen, start your opinions.....

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

Post subject: Re: Wheel guru's....
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:49 pm 
Have a look and the Stans Flow rims. You can get them on Hope Pro2 hubs for a decent price if you lick clicky clicky freehubs or you can look at Superstars Switch Evo's, they're only £200. I have the Superstar ones on Crest rims (light and narrower than the Flows and won't stand up to so much abuse) and they've been fine so far.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:19 pm 
Cool:

Stans flow with hope hubs review:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/review-hope-technology-pro-2-evo-hubsstans-flow-rims-wheelset-12-46215

superstar switch review:
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/wheel-sets/product/review-superstar-components-switch-evo-am-custom-wheelset-10-39766

cool getting a feel for what i'm looking at now, will have to weigh my current wheelset to make sure i'm saving weight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:37 pm 
Check out superstar pinercili rims, come from.same factory as stabs, and they were doing a mental introductory deal on them

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:50 pm 
If you're thinking about Hopes it might be wise to test ride something first if you can. You might find the loud click quite annoying, bugs me sometimes & they engage slower. I know that sounds finicky but I'm no pro & I can tell that a 104 tooth freewheel in a Hadley picks up much quicker even than a 52 tooth Shimano & Hopes are only 24 hence the din they make.

Post subject: Wheel guru's....
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:29 pm 
Crossmax Sx by mavic are the nuts, I have mine for years on the nomad running UST high rollers. They are awesome.

I know they are a lot but who knows there may be some offers going if you keep your eyes open.

(You did say forget the budget to start with)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:08 am 
Think I'll keep my eye out for some crossmax, only heard good things apart from price!

Sent using the force...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:09 pm 
I have the 2012 crossmax sx and they are very good, not gone out of true at all and been through all sorts. in comparison i also have a set of hope pro3 am4 with dt swiss 5.1d rims which have had to had a new rim on the rear, i am now using them on my second bike till can afford some crossmax slr's.

the sx's are a good bit lighter then the hopes too. (but double the price) also bear in mind with mavic wheels u can get the mp3 insurance which covers the wheels for 3 years of abuse.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:55 pm 
So i've been looking online and it appears there is some change between 2009 and 2012 there are a few sets of crossmax sx 2009 brand new unused for about £400 but how different are they from the 2012 ? are the 2009 versions any good ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:07 pm 
The older Mavic factory wheels had a reputation for having poorly sealed / designed freehubs. If you search around the interwebs you'll find quite a few people moaning about having to replace them on short time frames, especially crossmax's. I'd guess that is possibly why there are still quite a few old ones floating around. The newer 2011+ ones seem to have sorted the problem out and people seem to love 'em now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:12 pm 
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mavic-crossmax- ... tAod2jcAag

http://www.mavic.com/en/product/wheels/ ... rossmax-SX

both look pretty much the same.

if they are and u can get them for £400 then bonus

the only thing i can think of which may be different is that on the 2012 ones u get adaptors for 142x12 on the rear hub too, this may or may not be possible with the older models

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
whilst writing this phinw replied above, he makes a valid point about the older hubs being poorly sealed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:29 pm 
Quote:
u get adaptors for 142x12 on the rear hub too

in English that means what ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:46 pm 
Newer bikes, especially AM/DH focussed ones are coming with wider spaced, bolt-thru rear wheels - 142mm (spaced) x 12mm (bolt thru axle) as opposed to the usual 135X10.

Other than the Crossmaxes, for the riding and bike you describe (nice bike, I have a Prince Albert!) as mentioned, you can't go far wrong with Stans Arch EX or Flow on what ever hub you fancy. The hope hubs give you the most choice in axles types front and rear. As mentioned you just have to put up with the appalling noise! If money is no object you could always go for Chris King! If money is an object then there is nothing wrong with good old XT hubs.

I was going to suggest Sun Ringle Chargers as a slightly left field option if you can find them anywhere...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:57 pm 
phinw wrote:
. As mentioned you just have to put up with the appalling noise!.

dont u mean the aPAWLling noise :lol: (sorry)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:58 pm 
Boom, tish!