Forum

Post subject: Product reviews
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:49 am 
As the profile of the site has grown there have been more and more requests from local shops and the industry to take a look at what they do. I have started to asked suppliers who are confident in their products, to send in a sample which can be reviewed. I’m especially interested in anything new which doesn’t have much of a profile yet.

This means….

> The opportunity to tinker with some new kit. :ugeek:
> You get to read a real user non industry product review. The reviews will be there if you want to read them but not in the way of your everyday use of the site.
> You will have to get used to my bad grammar, and inappropriate insertions of biker bum terms like, steeze, loam fest and amped.
> The supplier gets exposure which is more valuable than a flashing ad. For Google, content is king and product reviews carry huge weight in search engines.
> Ill also start doing a few reviews on kit that I already own. Let me know if there is anything you already own that you would like to write a review on. Doing an article may be a good way of showing you can review a product in the future yourself.

At the moment I am doing a couple of reviews

The Oregon ATC Chameleon Dual Lens Action Video Camera.
http://uk.oregonscientific.com/cat-Outd ... McQwtUxxI0
It has 2 cameras at 2 angles… ive often thought some of the best footage ive shot is rear facing – so being able to do front and back at the same time is interesting. Also doing a front/rear and side in something like 4x or Dual race could be very cool.

The SG-T2200 from brightbikelights
http://www.brightbikelights.com/index.p ... icle&id=39
This has 2 of the uber powerful CREE XM-L U2 which can punch out more lumens than XM-L T6 or XP-Gs. Brightbikelights say they their lumen measurements are accurate, unlike some imported light figures, which seem to be dubious. We will see! Of course build quality, value, mounts, run time, heat output , quality of lens, reach, spread and general usability will all be considered. If you're on a night ride with me you might find me asking for your opinion on these.

If anyone has seen any interesting products out there, which we should be taking a look at let us know.

Cheers

Karve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:02 pm 
Makes a lot of sense. I listen to what other people say that have actually used kit over what press have to say anyway.

Also; I like the camera: seems like the only option is a go pro at times so I'll look forward to reading its review.

--------------------------------------
Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

Post subject: Re: Product reviews
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:45 pm 
I like the idea of reviews

i always check up on the reviews on FACTORYJACKSON

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:11 pm 
I think reviews are a great idea. A good review depends a lot on the reviewer though so we'll have to see how you do Karve :)
I know money for reviews is sometimes considered wrong as it can produce a biased view but I hope this generates a few £££'s to help you run the site or for beer. And good reviews will generate even more site traffic, which is good.
Might be up for attempting a review myself, got a set of Superstar wheels that I've been using for 6 month now and I've seen a few questions about them pop up on various forums.

If the review could be linked in with a thread for comments/discussion that would be good. Having a separate comments section like some sites is just annoying.

Last edited by Eccles on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:23 pm 
I also like long term reviews, i.e stuff thats been tested for a few months or years, like DIRT's Hammered. Some products seem initially great but soon fall apart. (My Supertar wheels are a bit like this, still true and no damage but a trip to Morzine and the bearings were shagged).

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:24 pm 
Nice idea, if you need anything tested for 29ers or in general, let me know.
I'll try and think of things that may be of use writing a review of as some of you know i do like new kit ;)

*Edit*
That camera looks ace!
but without a chest mount its going to loose out.

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:35 pm 
I reckon its a great idea, dont mind writing the odd piece either, I reckon I'm in a position to write something useful on the i.c.e v8 dropper post now I've had it apart a few times to service etc and its been in use 6 months?

Sent using the force...

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:36 pm 
Long term reviews would be good and if the reviewer has knowledge of products similar to the one they are reviewing.

Often see people bigging up their new toy shopping after a few days/weeks with no knowledge of any similar products. ;)

Id be happy to do any long term DH Bike tests any of the local bike shops wish to be reviewed. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:22 pm 
Cool cheers for the feedback -

Yea I’m not promising a new groundbreaking take on reviews. I imagine mine will be short and to the point..

No one will get paid. Most of the time, just like the mags we will have to send stuff back. But of course it’s always interesting to play with new kit. It has the added bonus of being nice juicy content for the site, which the crawlers love. Those are the kick backs.

The factory Jackson stuff is good – thanks for the pointer. I’ve always like the reviews the muddy moles do as well. Im a big fan of homebrew tech… like the guys making stuff on a lathe in a shed and conversely of mad imported stuff so hopefully we can surface some of that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:02 pm 
Great idea. Photos and maybe even a video would be good. Also great to review stuff which doesnt always get to feature like random tools, proper trail shorts etc.

If you get any interest and want any NZ products reviewed then let me know - I am doing a lot of riding at the moment (as it is summer time) and so long term tests should be pretty easy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:35 pm 
Maybe i'll do the new GoPro and App?

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:28 am 
Reviews are good from users who are not biased against manufactures or sponsors. We all like kit and use it and finding a good review from users is a good pointer.

We can also get to use the words 'stocked' 'dialled in' into reviews and sound knarly as well :-) :-)

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:49 pm 
Jamie, we don't need to publish stock levels in a review...

We can say we're stoked though :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:11 pm 
SurferEv wrote:
Jamie, we don't need to publish stock levels in a review...

We can say we're stoked though :P

Yea just don't write the review on any apple device as all sorts of words will be put in place ;-)

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A