Forum

Post subject: Trek Scratch 8
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:44 am 
Hi folks,

I'm sure some of you own/owned/had a go on one/have a friend that got one etc....

I'm flirting with a Scratch, 17.5 size. I have a 18.5 actual Remedy bought not long ago and although I always had L frames I find the Remedy slightly big, therefore quite difficult to maneuver and to get airborne.

I heard that the Scratch is quite short so I'm no sure if a 17.5 would suit someone 5'11 and with 32 inseam. I'm looking for something able to get some air going on and also to go down nicely, so this bike looks right. But is it able to cope with a bit of XC?

Thanks in advance

Deco

Post subject: Re: Trek Scratch 8
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:46 am 
Any bike will cope with XC, it the rider that struggles ! ;)

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:50 am 
Lmao!!! nice one mate :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:36 am 
Hi mate,

i have the scratch 9 and absolutely love it. Its an absolutely amazing bike, very versatile.

I've done most of the welsh trail centres on it, but also FOD/Stiniog/Revolution uplifts, and ride aston hill most weekends on it. It's perfect for the UK, where a DH bike can sometimes be overkill.

If you want to try it for size feel free to come round, I'm near Harrow. Also, I'm 5"11 with 32" leg, I have the medium as well, fits like a glove.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:46 pm 
Hi, I've got scratch air 8 17.5". I'm 5'8" and I toyed with the idea of getting a small coz the medium seemed massive at first but I'm used to it now and I think I got the right size. You should test ride both sizes at least a couple of times to get a good feel for it. You can try mine if we ever meet. I won't be over Danbury till feb half term though. I live near Croydon and go PORC quite often if you ever go there. Overall the scratch is ideal for the south east and a bit of downhill. If I ever went to the alps I'd probably hire a full dh rig.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:52 pm 
D i think there is one in the bike shop by wanstead tube stn....think i seen one last week!

trees dont move!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:15 pm 
decoxx wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm sure some of you own/owned/had a go on one/have a friend that got one etc....

I'm flirting with a Scratch, 17.5 size. I have a 18.5 actual Remedy bought not long ago and although I always had L frames I find the Remedy slightly big, therefore quite difficult to maneuver and to get airborne.

I heard that the Scratch is quite short so I'm no sure if a 17.5 would suit someone 5'11 and with 32 inseam. I'm looking for something able to get some air going on and also to go down nicely, so this bike looks right. But is it able to cope with a bit of XC?

Thanks in advance

Deco

Have just replied to your PM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:42 pm 
NorthernTom and jaydeebe thank you for your opinions, it seems that the bike would fit my needs. It would be great to be able to try different sizes to have a feel of it. The bike is in Oxford, I might go over there to try it out if it is not sold before. And I just clarified with the seller 17.5 is the actual size, this Trek sizing is always a bit confusing.

luvinit are you talking about Trax or other shop? I went there last saturday and they have nothing like that.

northern I replied your message

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:49 pm 
The one on cambridge road just before the lights!!
they had a 2nd hand one in there but might be gone by now then!

trees dont move!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:55 pm 
I think it's Trax, must have gone, thanks mate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:22 pm 
Just saw this and thought id post in case your still after a scratch - http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/p/35377/Trek- ... -9-Ex-Demo