Forum

Post subject: Panaracer fire xc pro pressure help please
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:51 pm 
Hi

First post on here so thought id say hi!

I have had a set of Panaracer xc pro tyres on my bike now for a few weeks and done 5 or so rides, in the dry, mud and snow, in Havering country park, Hainault forest and Epping Forest.

I cant seem to find the correct tyre pressure though. Panaracer reccommend between 35-55psi. Problem is at 35 psi in the mud I am sliding all over the place. If I run lower pressure i have more grip but i keep puncturing! I weigh 64kg

Any ideas!? should i run lower pressures and buy some slime tubes?

Thanks
KOGAN

Post subject: Re: Panaracer fire xc pro pressure help please
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:37 pm 
Probably the best you could do is to get a set of mud tyres, they will be skinnier, with wide spaced and tall knobs, which will help to dig into the mud and find traction and at the same time keeping the thread clean.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:09 pm 
Thanks for the reply, thought that might have to be the only option. Not sure I want to fork out on another set of tyres ATM as am predominantly a road rider

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:19 pm 
I wouldn't have thought the panaracers would be any good at all in these conditions.. I tried one in autumn when it was a bit muddy and it was borderline so I took them straight back off. Bonty MudX for the slop season and cheap enough at about £20 each.
I typically run the MudX on the rear and my trusty Nobby Nic on the front throughout winter, then swap the MudX for a Racing Ralph for dry trails :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:02 pm 
Thanks SurferEv will have a look at those tyres. The majority of my mtbing is in Epping and in the winter so mud is a constant issue! Will definitely have to think about tyre choice a bit more

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:17 pm 
Obviously a MudX on the front too would probably work great but I never tried a pair.. Depends on the type of riding I suppose..

I fitted a pair of Hans Damph to my bike in January and they had tons of grip over at Danbury.. But then I had my nasty stack on the practice jump so not been on the bike for nearly 6 weeks now.