Forum

Post subject: Headset advice
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:26 am 
Going to give some....

Dont open your new headset box and then continue to throw the contents all over the garage floor for no good reason !

i'm still unsure how it happened but every single component came out of the packaging a fled to the four corners of the garage, i retrieved them all (i think !) and put them on the bench, pressed in the top and bottom cups and then mocked up the rest.... it doesn't fit, i can't get all the parts to seat neatly, it close but i have two bits left over LOL one is some kind of 1 1/8th bearing seat so that must go up top some where, the other is a small spacer that looks like it should fit inside the top bearing to hold the steerer snug but if i put it in the top cap doesn't fit down snug :?: :?: :?:

The headset is a Nukeproof warhead 1.5 - 1 1/8th jobbie, i've looked about on line but cannot find an exploded diagram of all the components, i found this: http://www.nukeproof.com/images/support/Nukeproof-AS1HeadsetInstructions.pdf
which is almost similar but 'm thinking i'll have to order a new headset, carefully pull it out the package, see how all the bits are aligned and then send it back, or just fit a new one as the 'new' one has taken a beating where i lost my rag with it more than thrice on Monday, Monday was not a good build day for me as it took 40mins to put the feckin bottom bracket into the frame, no idea why, it was just shizzle.

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

Last edited by unityjon on Tue May 07, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Headset advice
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:32 am 
Fit crown race to fork
fit upper and lower cups
fit lower bearing into lower cup it may have a sealing washer between it and the lower crown.
fit upper bearing and expanding washer this will more than likely need an upper sealing washer.
then fit either the stem on or the headset spacers
put the star fangled nut in the steerer tube and tension the head set. that should be it.
sometimes additional thin washers are put in to space the sealing washers if they rub too much

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:21 am 
The lower crown race i have issues with as it either was not included, appears to be missing but I'm sure i've retrieved all the parts however there is a very thin metal washer that fits snug down on the crown and the bearing fits nice between it and the bottom cup

Its the upper part i'm having most issues with, i've got this bit:

which i cant work out its position or orientation, i've tried it all ways and every time the top cap will not fit nicely and i also have this spacer part (lock ring in the above PDF) that doesnt seem to fit inside the upper race without pushing the top cover too high by about 1mm.

just seen this replacement crown race on CR...

will need to check i have one, i may have and it may be seated up into the lower bearing

jeez i sound like such a noob! LOL

If its not all there i'll order a new headset and chuck all this in the bin POS

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:40 am 
The top pic looks like the crown race to me and the bottom pic should go direct on to the top bearing
as the bottom pic is an expanding part it will be an interference fit.
some times it is best to assemble all the parts in order then set the tension with the top cap and they can all slide together

would be handier to have a couple of shots of what you have

Bike pics

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:50 am 
The top pic piece only has a center hole of 1 1/8th so it must go up top as the lower is 1.5"

If i have no joy when i get in tonight i'll take a few piccies

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:36 am 
No danger of it being a one size fits all type arrangement whereby they have sent you an 1-1/8th crown too?

Bike pics

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:11 pm 
I think you're right, i think that part is for non-tapered steerers, I've also found a few threads where people have also gotten confused with the crown race, appears its often press fitted into the lower bearing already, if that's the case the small washer type affair that i've dropped on to the crown can go up top and be used as a washer to help the top cap fit better...

more keen than ever to go home from work now....

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:42 pm 
Lol it's exciting !

Bike pics

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:39 pm 
It's all in apart from the one odd adapter ! Took 3 attempts to get it all in the right order/orientation lol, next jobs require stealing a few bits of my current bike like the larger break rotor and seat post so that will have to wait until after tomorrow nights ride :grin:

I'm on the damn phone....

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:29 pm 
Looking forward to seeing this beast put together!

Bike pics