Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dumb ass question about tubeless
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:53 pm 
Feel free to come and do mine then, i haven't managed to get the tire to seal against the rim, yet. ?I think a couple more wraps of tape will help secure it or make it air tighter until its inflated against the beads.

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:56 pm 
Seriously bring them to me and I'll do them.
My new rims are stans compatible and have the yellow stans tape. You only put 1 layer on with about 6 inch overlap. Cut out the hole for the valve and install valve. You have to get the correct width tape for your rim.
Look at link below.

http://youtu.be/8nWgaOnrOWg

Tally ho lads over the top we go!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:59 pm 
What kind of compressor you using? Not one of those 12v plug in ones as they are regulated. You need a blast from a workshop compressor.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:01 pm 
It really does depend on the tyre/rim combo. With the Flows (assuming they are not the new EX ones) if you are using normal tyres (non UST or non tubless ready tires) Stans advise having a rim strip in. This helps with the loose fitting tyre. If you are using tubeless ready / UST then you can get away with just the yellow sealing tape.

The soapy water business seems daft but it does make a difference, especially if you're doing it with a track pump and no compressor. Even just water helps at a pinch.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:12 pm 
Just bought a track pump for starters but my home compressor is a small one at 50ltr with 7.8cfm but i cant rig up a quick release hose end without a trip to the paint shop to pick up one up as its broke, the workshop one is different beast altogether at 200ltr with 23cfm displacement ;) but that will have to wait until Friday.

The tires are normal (used) High Rollers 60a and the rims are Stans Flow, yet to try with just the rim tape, will have a go tonight and see what happens, if no joy i'll fatten the rim up with more tape and use the big compressor on Friday.

So far i've not tried it with the bead seated snug enough into the rim, will try that tonight too

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:18 pm 
Follow the vid for the yellow tape.

http://youtu.be/8nWgaOnrOWg

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:59 pm 
shouldgetoutmore wrote:
Seriously bring them to me and I'll do them.

after failing again i'll take you up on this offer ! put a tube in first this time and i know understand when the tire is locked into the bead, but i couldn't inflate it, so stripped it all down again.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:27 pm 
Dont give up,
Ive got Ust rims and tyres and they are still an ass to inflate sometimes, ive got to change a tyre over before this weekend but im dreading it as last time it took me ages, but no where near as long as it took when i put some non tubeless minions on, they took 40 mins each to inflate. :crazy:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:59 am 
It's sometimes really hard to get the bead locked but when that pop/clang noise comes you'll know straightaway. Soapy water, removing the valve core and putting your hand over the valve all help, you just need to get in more air than is coming out. Unfortunately some tyres are virtually impossible with a track pump. Try it again with the compressor.

Or go ghetto for 9p: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... al-cost-9p :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:22 am 
Lol, I'm really tempted to try that as I've run out of patients for the whole thing!, wasted 2 loads of sealant and a few precious hours :-|

I'm on the damn phone....

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:37 am 
Only ever put sealant in once tyre has bern seated

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:43 am 
VW-surfbum wrote:
Only ever put sealant in once tyre has bern seated

like VW said, so make sure the valves you get have removable cores so you can inject the sealant in after the tyre is in place. Stans now do an injection adapter, i just use one of their small squeezy bottles or a syringe.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:22 am 
I've got stans valves and i have yet to cut the pouring spout so could just pierce that small enough to squirt into the valve body.

The penny dropped when reading the ghetto tubeless thread above, there was me trying to inflate an ill fitting tire from the off ! I now realise you need to seat one side using a tube, then remove it and seat the other side using pressure, pop in the sealant then inflate the damn thing and swish it all about, leave it to settle in and sort out as required and pump up to riding pressure ! LOL

might try again now i've got a better understanding, none of the videos are in layman terms enough for me being old school and just used to inflating a tube and riding off !

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:35 am 
Yeah, that works. You don't need the sealant to get it inflated. It's just there to seal the porous side walls of non UST tyres and protect against punctures. With the compressor or ghetto inflator you don't need the tube. Both beads should lock if the inrush of air is fast enough. Check out one in action: http://youtu.be/ePbjM6wQ1I8

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:16 am 
Found. I was looking for that video was on BR last year.

Have you got directional tires be nightmare getting them seated only to find rolling wrong way. Been there :???:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next