Forum

Post subject: New all mountain rig
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:38 pm 
Hi all

as some will know my current hardtail rig has been on it's last legs for a while now (more new parts to keep it going than it came with) and just doesn't cut it for my riding any more. Especially after a weekend on a full-susser in Wales last year.

The bike I rode in Wales was a Genius 920 and was amazing to ride but a bit too expensive for me and not enough travel.
I'm drawn to the current Scott line-up having ridden one and love the Twinloc Lever System which completely adjusts or locks the travel rigid front and back (given the right set-up).
Does anyone else offer this?
At the same time though I'm concerned that the 650b is a fad.

Have been eyeing up a few and wanted to see if anyone has got experience with the specific bike or brand

Trek - Remedy 8 or 9
Scott - Genuis 730 or 740
Giant - Reign 1
Specialized - Enduro comp
Orange - 5am
Lapierre - Zesty 514 or Spicy 516

Also if anyone else has any suggestions I'll take them on board, requirements below in priority order:

Minimum 150mm forks
Minimum 150mm rear
Under £3000
ISCG mount for chain guide
Would love a dropper post included in price as I'll be fitting one if not included
As light as realistic given the budget and abuse it might receive as I'm fairly light myself (65kg / 10 stone)
Don't really want to be looking to spend loads upgrading or changing parts any time soon

I'm considering Megavalanche in a few years (just to say i've done it rather than be competitive) if i can get my skill up to the right level and ideally need something I can take there without worrying about lack of travel

cheers everyone
Dan

Post subject: New all mountain rig
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:59 pm 
I had an 06 enduro and that was a lovely do everything bike. From reviews and riders I would look at a lapierre. Personal if I was getting a full sus AM bike I would get a whyte t-129 looked perfect at the bike show

Post subject: Re: New all mountain rig
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:19 pm 
Orange alpine 160, Ibis Mojo HD, Yeti SB66.all of these are on my long travel trail bike want list, i think the yeti is tad on the exspensive side though.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:00 pm 
Nukeproof mega, various canyons, yt industries, pivot firebird (I think), commencal meta am.

I've got a trek scratch and love it, why not look at the trek slash as well?

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:53 pm 
I ride a remedy 7 and love it for all round do anything stuff.

But I really fancy a new norco killer b. They look awesome in the flesh. Aproxx £2600 new

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:00 am 
Commencal meta sx (I've got the am2), the main diffence is its a more hard core focused bike (160mm travel v 150mm, 34 foxs v 32 foxes, stubby stem as standard ect). The 2012 model came out on top of MBUK test againest nukeproof mega, scott (?) and stanta bullet (?). Adjustable travel sounds like a brilliant idea but in truth i don't think its that good, i have neaver locked out my forks even when climbing in wales. Just because you have got a 90mm travel bike does not turn it in to a xc machine for the climbs. Matt leech (mattHVAC) off here has a canandale that you can lock out at different travels, speak to him about travel adjustment bikes and his perspective.

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:18 am 
Might be out of the budget but I am riding a Santa Cruz Nomad which is doing everything I need it to.

I have a fox 36 talas up front and use the travel adjust quite a lot as to dial it down to 120 drops the front end and makes it much better for climbing.

i also considered the lapierre and norco - both great bikes but I got a top deal on the carbon nomad and couldnt say no! definitely no regrets from me though.

i previously had a giant reignX which was a great do it all bike with fox 36 up front. they do some really nice and well priced builds and now include their own dropper post too.

another one which is getting good reviews is the cannondale - not sure on the propriety rear shock though. it is made by fox but would not allow for any replacements.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:35 am 
Dave apples uses a santa cruz butcher and seems to get on well on that.
i had a pitch that was pretty good before i started making it heavier

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:41 pm 
http://www.yt-industries.com/shop/en/Bi ... spbnj3tgg1
£2786.84 at todays rate

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:53 pm 
Have a look at Canyon, i have the new Strive 8.0. i must say its the bollox!

https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... tml?b=3047

Tally ho lads over the top we go!

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:27 pm 
One of the best looking bikes ive seen for a while:

https://www.canyon.com/_en/mountainbike ... tml?b=3048

i wouldn't hesitate to get that. It's recommended by Fabien Barel, you can't really argue....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:48 am 
What did you go for in the end dude? Been a month - reckon you must be quiet cause you've been riding it so much?!?!!?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:09 pm 
I'm still looking, trying to try out as many as I can. I think I'm going to end up waiting till 2014 models are available to be honest. It will take me ages to finally pick one

Got tickets for the bike show in October.

I've got my heart set on the trek but haven't had a chance to ride it yet.
On the quiet side mainly because I've been busy, kept meaning to says thanks for the suggestions everyone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:49 am 
If you can wait (do you need to see a doctor?) you could hang on to January / Feb and buy a 2013 model then for peanuts compared to prices now !

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:27 am 
Bike sale will start sooner than that, I bought mine new 2 years ago about September time for £800 less