Forum

Post subject: Lyrik fork upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:24 am 
So i bought some Lyrik's when i built my new frame up and didnt think much about it apart from they had great reviews and the price was cheap....

then i found out the forks labeled as Lyrik RC2L are infact RL forks with new lower stanchions and seals, not too fussed about that to be fair as they are still good, then i did some reading and realised that all the Lyrik innards are interchangeable so i have manged to hunt down the RC2L valves WITH floodgate control so i can potentially lock them out but....

Reading online (always dangerous) a lot of people took the RC2L forks and removed the floodgate control making them a Downhill fork (i.e no low speed compression) they are really supple and basically what i have now but i want to put in the floodgate in and get slow speed compression to help with climbing. Loads of how to's on line for removal, none for refit....

Apart from making sure there is the right amount of the correct weight oil (198mls of 5wt Rockshox) can anyone suggest anything else i should make sure of ? Nick at Pedalworkx has said if i pop them up to him with the oil he'll sort that out but i don't want to dismantle the forks and find I've something missing.

(I'm in meetings most of today so cant just browse the net getting info all day :? )

the valve has arrived with knobs...

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

Post subject: Re: Lyrik fork upgrade
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:02 pm 
Hey man they are good forks.

I wouldn't bother removing the floodgate though. The floodgate removal and tinkering with oil weight doesn't really do a lot. I removed mine on my totem and tried to run lower pressures with 7.5 and 10wt oil. I didn't really notice that much difference.

FYI the floodgate is not the LSC, its a lock out with a blow off. You still have LSC if you remove the floodgate.

You deffo need a fair bit of LSC when doing DH... if only fox had thought of that when they designed the CTD eh!

If you get a lack of mid stroke support which is the only neg I hear about the totem or lyrik maybe ask Nick to reduce the volume of the air chamber .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:29 pm 
Cheers for the response but I'm not removing the floodgate, i'm adding it ?

The current valve in the forks doesnt have any LSC where as this new one does :) the floodgate included is a bonus, everywhere else sells this Valve without the floodgate its rare to find one with it, infact you can buy the floodgates on Ebay and the like where people have removed them ??

as for needing LSC going down, i think it depends how fast you are going down and how rough it is, personally i dont think we have any "DH" in Essex to be fair but thats just my opinion, and also why i want LSC as its a do it all bike

these are also Coil with u-turn so no air chamber,. sorry i didnt make that clear ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:46 pm 
Ah makes sense... never heard anyone do it the other way round as you mention!

Coil forks are great!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:18 pm 
You will want low speed compression for G-ing out coming into jumps

i ramped mine up a bit as i was touching the seat on the back wheel coming into steep jump transitions.

as long as the item you are holding matches the exploded diagram on the sram site then i would say you are good to go.

Nick will have everything else including o-rings and seals i would imagine

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:23 pm 
Any good, http://ride.io/forum/index.php?topic=238584.0

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:35 pm 
^^ I'm not dismantling it that far, the unit drops in as a whole using the large 24mm nut on top thank goodness!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:31 pm 
That's it dude..... Tis all you need for the conversion + oil. ;)

SPS Santa Cruz V10c / Lapierre Spicy