Forum

Post subject: Best place to buy MTB trousers? (and clothes in general)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:33 pm 
Im looking for some MTB trousers in particular, and possibly some shoes, and i cant seem to find a website that sells trousers, or sells trousers that arent stupidly over priced.

So far, ive found this to be the best deal i can find

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fly- ... prod85253#

Anyone have any suggestions as to where its best to get clothes from?

--------------------------------------
GT Chucker XS1

Post subject: Re: Best place to buy MTB trousers? (and clothes in general)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:47 pm 
EBay is your best bet, you can get anything you want or try pink bike uk, hope this helps

Shelfside

CUBE STEREO SUPER SL HPC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:47 am 
Tredz website has some good offers on... Santa should be bringing my presents Christmas that hopefully he got the list to include new trousers for me ;) ;) ;)

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:02 am 
I think those are really aimed at the hurl yourself of a mountain DH crowd ;)

If it's for what we were doing yesterday then you'd be better off with a decent pair of baggy mtb shorts with a liner or some cycling tights with the shorts over the top.

You'd get very hot in those and land up cooked and soaked from sweat in those trousers.

The problem with clothes for cycling in is that if it's waterproof enough to keep the rain and splash out then it's going to keep the sweat in... even if it's breathable.

Your skin is pretty waterproof so shorts will do the job and if your getting cold you need to try harder ;)

Decathlon do a decent range of shorts etc - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-308030-cycling-tights-and-shorts

T shirts - http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-308317-t_shirts-and-jerseys you want something breathable.. it pulls the sweat away from your body and stops it chilling you.

Baselayer, works with the T shirt to keep you dry and warm - http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/mens/base-layers/mens-merino-thermals/merino-long-sleeve-round-neck-top-p7499.aspx?ism=0&cl=BLACK

A gillet also helps to keep the wind chill off your core if a jacket is too much.

This sort of thing also works in the summer... just drop the baselayer and the tights.

Shoes .... 5 10's, Tiva, Shimano... take your pick really but they ain't cheap and although there are better you could get away with a pair of flat soled trainers, more solid the sole the better.

Waterproof socks ( aren't really ) help keep your feet warm.

Add a cheap water/shower proof jacket for when you get caught in the rain and really your covered for anything short of a Scottish mountain.

You'd get half of that on to your xmas list for the cost of the trousers ;)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:30 pm 
Thanks!

Well the description said to withstand the "track and trail" so i thought theyd be designed for trail riding. And they did look awesome :D

I usually prefer riding with trousers, hence why i originally wanted a pair. But i think tights and shorts will do me, and i can just drop the tights when it gets to the summer like you said.

Ive got 3-4 nike thermals to choose from, and i was happy with what i was wearing yesterday. I had one of those thermals, a normal t shirt and a hoodie. It was hot at first but i got used to it after a while. I think ill carry on wearing what i did.

Ill get some cheap MTB gloves too as im going to need a pair for commuting, which will be the pair i was wearing yesterday. My hands did get a little hot with them yesterday.

Waterproof socks and sports direct shoes for me i think! The socks so i dont care about getting them dirty/ruined and they will be quite cheap, and the socks to keep me warm. My feet were reeeeeeeeally cold on the way home yesterday. I was wearing thin socks, and those converses were just leather and thats it. Not good!

Cheers bugeye :)

GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:57 pm 
Waterproof socks are a must in the uk a mechanical with cold wet feet in winter is a right bitch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:10 pm 
I basically use this as my general trail clothing and get covered in eppingness.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endu ... p-prod9363 hummvee trousers if its really cold.

also wear hummvee shorts most of the time as i think they are they best for me over tights like this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-unpad ... pack-of-2/

then a base layer merino being best and a short sleeve top to finish off, possibly a gilet but in all honesty didn't need that yesterday.

on and of course seal skinz which do work!

as for shoes i ride in teva links, which i find really grippy and probably dropped in price.

on top of that

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:23 pm 
Aldi and Lidl do some pretty decent stuff some times... I picked up a ski base layer the other week and its a nice warm sweat wicking material....

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:45 pm 
Went for a bunch of stuff on eBay.

GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:42 am 
Got the shorts through the post, and they are a perfect fit and they look really nice.

Also got the tights...bloody hell. They are way too tight around the gentleman sausage area. Are they normally like this? I saw a pair in sports direct when i went looking for my shoes, i might send these back and get the ones from sports direct

GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:48 am 
I use Endura single track shorts,Endura MT500 leg warmers and seal skin socks! Never tried trousers tho.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:15 pm 
Don't know if you have a Cycle UK outlet in and around London but up here in the wilds of North/central Essex theres two outlets in Chelmsford that I highly recommend(especially three guys who work in the small shop by the train station). Between the three of them theres not much they don't know about bikes and equipment including clothing. Take my Trek 4 series to them for spares and repairs. They also have a online service which seems reasonably priced. I also use chainreaction and wiggle both of which do good discounts. waiting for some equipment to be delivered so I will let everyone know the outcome of the clothing and equipment and how it bears up off road.

Happy shopping

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:25 pm 
Can anyone help me out. Just bought Diadora x country 2 footwear of wiggle. Need to know what sort of pedal/cleat to use and are these appropriate for xc or can anyone recommend better footwear that won't cost me an arm and a leg ?

Many thanks

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:40 pm 
Depends what you like really. I like flat pinned pedals, so i started looking for some shoes that were flat and quite sturdy.

I had a look around sports direct in the boxing day sale and i bought these. (in black obviously lol) http://www.lillywhites.com/everlast-for ... -34-158010

They were great in the mud and water yesterday. Kept my feet really warm, had excellent grip on the pedals, and only got wet feet when i went through huge puddles or when i got bogged down in watery mud and had to walk out.

Im sure any sort of trainer with padding (and preferably a leather/slippery outer) would be okay. Unless you are willing to spend the extra money to get the proper dedicated cycling shoes like 5 10s or Tevas but i doubt they would be far from a standard trainer.

GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:06 pm 
Having just changed to 5ten trainers i can say they are worlds apart from standard trainers.
Well worth the investment.

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/