Forum

Post subject: Long Mynd... mini trip report.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:09 pm 
So the Long Mynd a mate said to me, it's a classic XC ride. A lot of climbing but it's great... we're riding it in January do you want to come?

Why not I thought? Well I'm not exactly built for climbing and that combined with a somewhat minimal level of fitness that should really answer the question. The other problem was going to be that the people I would be riding with are fit and can climb ;)

So Sunday morning, we leave the car park in Church Stretton and amble up the road towards the hill, I'm looking at it thinking it's not that high... how bad can it be. Well 2.5 miles later and we've climbed just under a 1000ft and I know just how bad it's going to be :D

We're on the top of the hill now and the gradients are bit less challenging the sun is shining and the views are pretty spectacular... all looking a bit better. Bit more gentle up and down a we get to the first of the real downhill runs. It's not technical just a big open hill and gravity... very very fast... it's also a bit on the slippery side.

I'm taking it easy to start with trying not to let my enthusiasm exceed my rather limited ability but it's a good run. I'm gaining on one of my mates... this makes me smile for a second before I remember that he's a much better rider than me and if he's going slower than me there's probably a good reason for this :o

I get on the brakes... did I mention it was a bit slippery... this is all a bit challenging but I'm getting it under control and starting to think I might live through this. Next problem... my big smooth hill is turning into a series of broken narrow tracks that split and rejoin in a pretty random way... challenging is no longer the word. The trail splits into two deep gullies cut into the ground about 4' deep with a nice flat between them... that'll do me I've almost got it stopped :)

Almost.... but not quite, I lose the front wheel and it's over the bars for me... into the gully landing on my shoulder, the handle bars give me a quick jab in the ribs as I go by :eh: the bike lands on top of me just to add a bit of insult to the injury ;)

So after ten minutes for me to confirm that I haven't broken anything and that the bike still works we're off again.

The steepest part of the next real climb is too muddy to ride so we're pushing this one... after a while it's worse than riding, why would you choose to walk up a hill :wtf: The views are good though.

The climb levels out a bit and we're back on the top of the hill and peddling, more views....

My mate tells me we're going to ride down the hill to the left and back up to those trees you can see in the distance and then over to the gliding club on the right. I tell him that ignorance is bliss and I would rather not of known that ;)

Next long downhill run and I'm being a lot more sensible, thing is my back brake is showing signs of unhappiness. Maybe I needed new pads on the rear as well as the front. They're are working but I'm doing a bit too much work with the front... I'm down again... not bad this time just a little off :lolno:

I've settled into the ride now, when I can stay on the bike that it ;) , I'd even say I was enjoying the climbing, sort of coming over all Zen really. We're back on top of the hill and it's a gentle ride over to the gliding club, I even find the breath to chat a bit with the fit people.

Last downhill run... this time I'm determined not to fall off ( I've had enough of the falling off thing by now ) . Back brake pads have now left the building. I'm left with just the front, taking it very very gently. The hill gets steeper and I get to the point where I can't stop the bike accelerating with just the front brake..... I get off and walk the rest of the way ;)

A gentle bit of road back to the car park. Coffee and cake.

I've survived the Long Mynd.... can't wait to go back :D

Post subject: Re: Long Mynd... mini trip report.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:19 pm 
Looks like an Epic day out with good weather!

--------------------------------------
Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:22 pm 
Looks awesome! meanwhile in essex, the mud has broken all our bikes and we are all sat at home eating and sleeping...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:47 pm 
Yes.. very luck with the weather, at one point the forecast was for snow and low cloud.. :thumbdown:

We drove up on Saturday night and stayed in a Premier Inn just outside Telford half an hour from Church Stretton. The drive took me 3.5 hrs door to car park. You could do it in a there and back in a day but be a bit of a marathon.

Other thing is it's only an hour or so from Lllandegla for a two day trip.

Did quite a lot of eating and sleeping when I got home ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:00 pm 
That looks and sounds like bucket loads of fun.

I disagree with you being unfit though. By the end of the rides we do im near enough sh!t faced and you are still going strong in front :D

GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:26 pm 
That made me laugh, good report!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:02 pm 
Used to live in Shrewsbury in the Early 90's and used to cycle over there most weekends, it's a great place and stunning views.

http://www.moohcowh.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:43 pm 
Looks brilliant. Love a bit of natural trail :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:11 am 
That looks really good. Broke a spoke last sunday, so going to swap my full susser for HT, just waiting for bits to convert it to mud machine :thumbup:
Changing 3x9 to 1x9, flat pedals and 12-36t cassette for starters :) Hope it will be done by Friday.

Commencal Meta AM / GT Avalanche Pro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:43 am 
Kara' , Adam and Franco... you would all love the riding there. In fact anyone that can hack the climbs would... it's not the Alps or anything ( not that I've been ;) ) but you know when you're on them.

I think we did two of the five 'classic' loops so there's a lot of riding there to make the trip worth while. Though by the sounds of it Mooh is the person to ask.... I didn't know where we were most of the time ;)

Few more pic's

Top of the hill again

This would all be ridable in the summer but just a bit too slippery now.... a mistake would be pretty painful and even worse it would mean climbing back up again :lolno:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:55 am 
Looks real cool, and a decent read on the train this morning ! nice one.

It doesn't matter what you ride

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:30 pm 
Final pic... I'm down the bottom somewhere ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:42 pm 
Hey bugeye - this is a great report. thanks for sharing. Looks like an epic route. 3000ft in 20 miles - blimey!