Forum

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Epping 2nd Febuary
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:29 pm 

Pic upload attempt no.1 :)

My 2006 Lava Dome "Unidexter" with a upgrade or two. 1x9 with White Ind cranks, 33T Surly ring, 12-36 block. Crazy high 'n' wide bars on the front - not for dirt-jumping, but because I need to minimise weight on the front, so this, with the short stem, brings me up and back. Have tried 'normal' set-up and just get a sore neck and shoulders. Like this it's comfy and I can ride a few hours :D

--------------------------------------
Yet you, a unidexter, are applying...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:43 pm 
Jesus you changed again!!! As for your knee pain I had that on both bikes, it's normally due to seat height being too low, raise it up and see how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:00 pm 
Thanks for the recommendation, but even at their sale prices they are out of budget. Haha!

Looking at something at around £80. Should be able to get something decent 2nd hand for that money.

If i can make it this week im not going to go off infront this time, going to go slower and stay behind :)

Ultrasound, that looks really nice. Definitely looks older than it is though design-wise. I was thinking to do a frame swap to my 1996 GT-Arrowhead and see how i get on, but that means id have to use v brakes at the back. Thats the only thing that has put me off doing it.

GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:10 pm 
Tolga, GT frame is nice, however my model is 2006 and I will probably not recommended, unless u can get it really cheap. The main reason is the headset is not angled enough to accompany fork bigger than 100mm, as it will affect handling. Also its 1.1/8 straight headset, so u can not fit tapered forks in it (unless you fit in external headset, which will again affect handling). I wanted to upgrade my old rockshox Judy and that gave me a proper headache. Wasn't willing to spend too much on mud bike, so it's partially my fault, but to get descent 1.1/8 fork you looking for around £200. I end up just cleaning Judy and spent money on reverb lol

As bugeye posted here, I will probably go for onone frame, which has more modern design and will be easier to get components for. Check also commencal frames, some nice discounts on 2012 models.

It's all about budget, building bike can be more expensive on first, but you will not have to replace components you dont like.

Love the kona handlebars....it looks super comfy :thumbup:

Commencal Meta AM / GT Avalanche Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:23 pm 
Thanks guys. Would have liked to build it looking really retro. Tried a flat bar and long stem, but too uncomfortable. Also had v-brakes on it for a while, but used to discs from other toys I've got, so fitted discs.
But good point made re more modern frames and ease of finding components. I had to fit a 140mm rear disc to this as the 160's that came with my set of Avid BB7's were too big - the fitting on the frame is set up for a 140mm rotor. Means less choice, but not too much of a hassle.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:07 pm 
FandaPac, thats fine as ill be using a 100mm suspension fork on the frame i get. I know what you mean though, putting a longer fork on a frame that isnt designed for it makes the handling really lazy. Look at the fork i had on my bike the day i built it hahaha. Handled like a barge, had no damping, and weighed easily twice more than my frame:

GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:18 pm 
Really like that UltraHound.... almost seems a shame to get it muddy, almost ;)

Tolga... http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/3-ht-frames-on-one-whippetinbred-kona

£85 inc seat clamp, headset and BB. 18" though so might be too big but you get the idea :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:30 pm 
Ahhhh. Ive only got around a tenner so far, only been saving for a week and a bit :( That looks good too.

I cant ask parents really as thats rude considering my mum just bought me cranks yesterday, and the next deposit for my school trip is going to have to be paid in a couple of weeks.

GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:53 pm 
Not saying get that one specifically ;) they come up pretty often and that's the going price. Save your money and when your ready keep an eye on STW and one will pop up :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:46 pm 
Sorry gents now 50/50 on ride been invited to July neighbour to watch the rugby if not heavy cya at 10 ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:26 pm 
Thanks, bugeye. Just put some "booties" on the forks before tomorrow's ride.

On a non-biking, but still off-road on two wheels matter -
Was out running my huskies on my Pawtrekker husky scooter (awesome fun!) in the heavy rain around 7pm. Waterlogged but empty park, head to toe goretex, a very powerful head torch strapped to my helmet...and two super keen, super fit Siberian Huskies. So much fun I almost (almost!) forgot about the rain, mud and general crappy conditions! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:53 pm 
That sounds like fun

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:55 pm 
Flat padels taken off for tomorrow ride with MBRO35's. Sad thou, GT looked cool with them :( Hope the pace will be ok, otherwise I will be knackered on sunday...
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 102.98 KiB | Viewed 448 times ]

Commencal Meta AM / GT Avalanche Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:10 pm 
Just googled Pawtrekker and a full sus husky powered scooter really does sound cool. I'll be very careful not to let my 9 year old son know that such a thing exists ;)

Fanda' you'll be knackered on Sunday :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:41 pm 
Haha, yes, I do get children looking open mouthed, simply saying, "wooowwwwww" on the occasions I'm out with them in daylight. It is good fun. ( you've not drifted a corner till you've done it by husky power!) but it's also fun with then on an MTB.
I have an old full sus Decathlon I keep at my in-laws in Cornwall and use that when we're there. Not as much control as the Pawtrekker, but that kind of adds to the fun. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next