Forum

Post subject: Re: Epping 2nd Febuary
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:17 pm 
Quote:
Welcome to the forum Seb, :)

Thanks Karabbean!

Wow guys, you realy make the most out of the brake pads...

Unless the brake lever is reaching the handlebar when pulling or if it feels spongy, I don't think is neccesary to bleed the brakes.

One of the pads gets more worn out because one of the pistons (normally the inside one) doesn't move as much as the external one. So what you may need to do is cleaning the dirtiness between the pistons and the caliper. It's kind of tricky but some brakes need it. Sometimes it doesn't help at all though, depending on the model. I'm afraid that yours Karabbean are one of the annoying ones but they have some good power if they are working properly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:37 pm 
Seb, i definitely agree. When i got new pads front and back and used the brakes for the first time i could not find a single criticism. Even if i was super critical. Really impressive. Just a shame they didnt stay that way forever! If i ever get round to stripping it down to clean it all up im sure they would feel good for alot longer. (and it would give me an excuse to have some red brake hose :D)

It looks like i wont be riding for a while now guys. I had a freehub failure on the way to school today... I decided to take my GT to school today as i found my mudguard and it doesnt fit my Raleigh commute bike, and half way there i hear a massive "clunk" and i have no more drive. :( So disappointing. To add injury to insult (it was more of an insult first you see, then an injury) I whacked my knee onto the top tube as i pushing down on the pedals!

--------------------------------------
GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:48 pm 
Might be able to help you out Tolga.... I think I might have an old 8 speed shimano freehub on a old wheel you can have. I'll look it out tomorrow and post pictures if you think it might be what you need.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:32 am 
Here you go....

Would need a good clean ;) and tbh it's suffered a bit of use but it's yours for postage or you can collect.

Seems to be a standard shimano freehub... used with 8spd but tbh I'm not sure if it's different form 9spd?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:35 pm 
Thanks Martin! How much do you want for it? Would be a massive help, as its half term next week and i thought my plans were all over, as ordering a new one would mean no half term riding. I will have to miss this Sundays ride though :(((

Since you are riding Epping this weekend, would be okay if i come and collect it from you at the car park?

Thanks, much appreciated! :D

GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:36 pm 
As for the cleaning, i have no clue what is inside a freehub as i have never taken one off before. Is it just a case of degreasing the insides, washing under a tap and adding new grease?

GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:11 pm 
If you pick it up from the car park it's free ;)

Cleaning it.... I had a quick google last night about fitting them and there's a bit of info about but to be honest I'd just give it a wipe down and stick it on... it works now so maybe best to leave it be..... sleeping dogs and all that.

That said I think you can change the grease around the pawls but it seems you need the right stuff or it won't work :problem:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:39 pm 
Cool, Best to leave it be i think as you said. As long as its all working ;)

See you Sunday :thumbup:

GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:59 pm 
Karabbean
i have a few bits hanging around, what do you need, i might have something for you
Lester

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:07 pm 
Hi Lester, its just the freehub thats let me down and thats sorted now, thanks :)

GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:49 am 
Ok cool
there would have been a price to pay any way, i was going to ask if i can be at the front for 10 mins :-)