Forum

Post subject: Rear Air Shock advice required
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:26 pm 
Ok this is bad, Tredz are offering 0% so i can finally junk the super heavy dhx5.0 coil shock in favour of an air shock, but what the heck should i go for ? is most expensive the best or just gimmicks ?

their page lists a few http://www.tredz.co.uk/Rear+shocks/plf/f4

Danbury is my playground but that's smooth, i like drops but i'm not really a big gnarly downhill run frequenter !! i like drops up to about 5ft to flat over that i start to get nervous ! so i have no idea what to go for ?

any suggestions :?:

and whats with HV XV and SV the different air volumes ?? i thought the pressure sorted the ride out ??

--------------------------------------
It doesn't matter what you ride

Last edited by unityjon on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Rear Air Shock adivce required
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:42 pm 
What have others fitted?

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:47 pm 
What bike are you riding anbd what fork have you got on the front? Also what travel has it got front and back?.

Linkages will often have an air shock or a tune that particually suits them, and pairing a air shock with a coil fork can make for a bike that rides through its travel and handles in a odd way. Its just somthing to think about as the best shock in the best frame doesnt always make for the best ride? if that makes any sence to you at all.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:59 pm 
Yup makes sense, i guess that's why they have all these damn adjustments on them, its for my Transition Bottlerocket i guess its got about 5" of travel ? running coil lyriks up front at 150mm , i'd like to loose some weight off the bike and the current dhx5.0 on the rear weighs the most out of everything on the whole bike, currently considering a Float X CTD ADJ on recommendation :) but they just went 'out of stock' when i went to add to basket LOL

Post subject: Re: Rear Air Shock advice required
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:29 pm 
Personaly id look at the monach, as travel wise at least it seams like a pretty good match for the lyric. I dont know much about how linnier or progresive the travel is or wether it would match the bottle rocket (is it actuated single pivot?).

It might be worth giving tf a call. They've always been really helpfull whenever ive asked them anything and could probobly recomend a shock tune to match your frame and the lyrics? and itll definatly beet my hoime mechanic ramblings

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:10 pm 
Technical Info :
LV = Large Volume
XV = High Volume
SV = Standard Volume

I have this one on my tranny
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Fox-Racing-Shox ... _64760.htm

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:57 pm 
VW-surfbum wrote:
Technical Info :
LV = Large Volume
XV = High Volume
SV = Standard Volume

I have this one on my tranny
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Fox-Racing-Shox ... _64760.htm

thats great it tells me that they have bigger / smaller air cans but so what ? how do they change or are they designed for different applications ??

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:34 pm 
Bigger air cans have a larger air volume which means more air haha pretty obvoise but how it effects the shock depends from design to design.

The idea basic idea is that as the shock works the air gets hotter and expands in volume ( it would be like pouring to much oil in a coil) which starts to limit the shocks travel buggering all your carfull set up. Large voulume shocks like the vivid are generaly designed with bigger air volumes ( more air can absord more heat) to componsate for this.

Smaller shocks with smaller travel work within more limited peramiters so can get aaway with a smaller volume.

haha well thats how ive always understood it to work. Its just an outline and dosent allow for clever internals to compensate Im sure an engener will tell me ive fluffed the details but hey. ive ridden on a monach and a cane creek double air and they are both great. the cane creek is an incredable engeneering feet and feels amazing but was apparently a total shit to set up although it was on a vpp linkage frame. The monach just worked and felt good and i like fit and forget kit, it means its working fine.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:20 pm 
Well i was just about to drop a bunch of notes on a CCDB air + CS luckily the guy in the shop was very thorough and contacted cane creek to double check hardware requirements and found out the Air shock wont fit in my frame LOL

After a chat for the type of riding i like best plus the fact i now ride it up hills too it looks like i'm going to treat my DHX5 to a Ti coil and a mx tune and push from TFTuned :)

I mistakenly thought the DHX5 was junk as it came free with the frame, turns out its just what i need ??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:06 pm 
Ti springs are prob the best weight saving you can easily make for not much cash, can always get one 2nd hand and always sellable again :) Those steel springs are bloody heavy.