Forum

Post subject: Beginner Looking to buy their first bike
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:25 pm 
Hi there,
After not riding a bike for a few years and a few of my friends getting into it I have decided to take up mountain biking( not so much of the jumps and more of the downhill trials but we shall see where it goes!)

Basically I have been offered a Orange evo 4 ( link at the bottom although that is not the one) for 275, and just wondered if I was getting a good deal as a beginner for a bike.

It has upgraded mavic XM321 disc rim wheels with Shimano hubs, Specialized V-Groove male geometry saddle, Woodman Semi Sealed Headset, Michelin wild gripper tyres.

And 27 speed, XT / LX rapidfire, Hayes Nine Hydraulic brakes, Manitou 130mm travel Splice Comp forks as standard.

If not I was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction of a good beginners bike for around the same price, not fussed if its new or second hand.

Thanks in advance for your help

Matt

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=orang ... B600%3B400

Post subject: Re: Beginner Looking to buy their first bike
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:45 am 
Seems pricey for a 9 year old bike tbh

look for an orange crush or something

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:37 pm 
^ very old school kit have a look on fleabay MBR magazine just did hardtail of the year have a look for models on eBay.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:51 pm 
Bikes have changed so much even in just the past four years (even hardtails). If it was me i would try and look for something newer, what would be the max that you could spend? What would its intended use (cross country, trail ect) and where to ride it?

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:38 pm 
^^^ What Matt said - what you are looking at will do you to get going (but then so would something from Decathlon).

If you can increase your budget a small amount you'd be able to get something on eBay that would be much better.

Either that or in my opinion go look at somewhere like Decathlon and spend £500 you'll get a half decent bike and it'll have a warranty.

I think the Rockrider 540 would be a decent bike to get started on ;)

Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:52 pm 
I manged to flog my 3 year old Rockhopper for nearly 400 quid on ebay, I was in Evans the other day and saw this for not much more, and very similar spec http://www.evanscycles.com/products/tre ... e-ec042073

Not a bad buy.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:48 pm 
Im a beginner into mountain biking and have the trek4700 d the same one as the link above and have to admit its served me well so far :) racked up quite a few miles on it already and have done two msg races . Only issues ive had is air in the brakes and the chain snapped both minor issues and chain snapping was my fault anyway for letting it go dry and using my gearing wrong. Cant really grumble about the bike at all i love it tbh!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:24 pm 
Funny that I have bought the same bike for my wife and she loves it and I think it is a great start.