Forum

Post subject: New website help.
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:59 pm 
I am looking at setting up a website to host an off road marathon from. It will need a forum and somewhere where people can download maps and entry forms ect.
Eventually it should be possible to pay over the Internet but this can be an addition.
So whats the best solution? I would like an inexpensive package that can be expanded I guess? With a frame work included and I can sort the front end out? (no web design skills yet but I hope that will be a by product!)

Anyone had any experiences good or bad? Karve being the obvious success story as here we are!

Post subject: Re: New website help.
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:49 pm 
I use to use 34SP as and host for my clients as a graphics\web designer and anything like ASP I would farm out to a code monkey this was in the mid 90s now everyone got a website and there so many programs d&d.

Question how much traffic do you think your going to get and size of space for forms.
Here EHMTB is hosted on fasthosts.co.uk

For domain name I would use Godaddy still cheap as a cheap thing or one package 34SP unless you can get friend deal
of fasthosts.co.uk

WordPress think Nole is using that ?
mrsite.com friends have used templates a bit like drop & drag same as basekit.com and joomla open-source

Just had a look at joomla not seen for five years there a 30days demo.

I'll edit when I think of more bits :D

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:50 pm 
Great! I will get on to some of those tonight then.
Looks like I will e going with the people who can make my life easy!

Traffic won't be large and the forum will be smaller than this one as it's only a very specific audience.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:40 pm 
Sent PM

MGS don't have forums theY use BR ;)

edit: letter

Last edited by Laser on Thu May 19, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:49 pm 
Hello mate - I use hostgator and would recommend them. they have given good support when needed.

There arnt a lot of easy solutions as soon as u want forums and such like.

Setting up a website with a forum like phpbb etc is a bit tricky and you do need to know a bit of CSS PHP MYSQL and understand apache to run it properly tbh... the best "I dont know any code" solution is squarespace but that's pretty expensive. Lets have a catch up next time ur out or u can buzz me on the phone and ill walk you through a few options.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:11 pm 
Sweet,
Might look to host it on runners world as laser suggested. I would hope it would develop to require a website but that might be a year or two away.

The next off road run I am hosting is on the 25/05/11 willingale cricket field at 10.30 if anyone's interested!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:56 pm 
A way ive seen getting round the forum problem, is finding a free online one (userboard isn't bad and ive used it before) and embed it into the site using an i frame

--------------------------------------
http://www.adambannermedia.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:15 am 
If you are using a Mac the Freeway sofware by Softpress looks like a good cheap professional program for building a website. Haven't used it myself but will possibly be buying it soon.