Forum

Post subject: BC National CC MTB Series rd 1-( full series ) rd 1 Braintr
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:47 am 
Hi all ,
Have done it now entered the lot so will not be going to Cannock Chase 30.03.14 .
Should be interesting to see how many I can get to.

Have to get on the bike now to train.
Bob

Post subject: Re: BC National CC MTB Series rd 1-( full series ) rd 1 Bra
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:53 pm 
Hi all,
STILL ALIVE.............

Race report for round one at Codham.

Firstly - I was beaten before I started.
Mentally
physically
mechanically bad spelling but I am sure you will understand it.

I turned up mentally totally unprepared for what I was going into.

the crowds and the proffessionalism alround and the supporters cheering on the early races was quite like afootball match and coaches must have been ex drill sargents.
I had a look at the start and it was a hill climb on rough grass and then saw the BMX track with people wizzing round.
Climbs all over the place and could not see the the tree section as down below horizon.
I got rthere early for me and the waiting did my mind in.
No practise for me and did not get a look at the course ( may have been a blessing really.
The start... nine entries only 8 turned up ( bonus I thought )
I was hoping for afew zimmer frames on the bikes but alas the lycra clad -light weght flying m/cs proved different.
The group had a vote and went for 3 laps I asked for 1.5 laps but no takers.
called to the line last and it was a sign........
The off .
2 feet if that no gear change front gears struggling had to get of and give it a kick start ( not even at the hill.
Managed to get going and caught up with the nr 7th. climbed the hill all wrong gears swaeating and knacked.
at the top started relaxing and before I got to the lake and drop offs my chain came offfffff.
I stopped nr 7 flew past and never to be seen again.
Not a happy bunny to say the least embrassment in myriding.
I pushed my self round ( on every hill )
enjoyed the tree track and streams etc and got dirty always fun.
I got to the BOMB hole (must have been a V2....
I choose b line but did not realise what the A line was like till I got to the bottom.
I watched the lads flying down it and was impressed but the scale of it was not truely felt.
BMX track would have been fun if I was not out of energy by then.
Second lap.
I struggled all the way to the double drp offs and my confidence did improve as I new what was ahead. Big mistake as I went down the first at some speed with people shouting roll it roll it ( I was using plenty of rear brakes I can tell you -gravity was winning though.
second section was half the height of the first but at the bottom due to traffic over the days ruts and soft mud as you got to the bottom caused me to do my normal over the bars and bounced bike the lot .
I was covered in mud and blood .
Picked myself up and scarped as quick as I cvould before I was run over .
I was a mess.
I took most of the park home with me.
I gained a white feather again at the bomb hole as I turned back and down the b line .
Confidence complete blown and just wanted to go home.
I heard the winner finish as I headed towards the BMX track cannot even say when he lapped me as he did 3 to my 2 laps.
I crossed the line with still energy to ride but mentally beat.
I had still 15 mins to go on the 1 and half hours but as the race had finished it was my lot.
I had time to think and need to get my head sorted for the next round .
I got 65 points for my efforts and ranked 8th but dont feel it is justified . (But take the points anyway.)
Next ride is REDRUTH which at the moment has 4 entries so maybe more points to be had .
looking forward to the MSG wwhich is less daunting in my mind .
Pride comes before a fall and I certainly gained that at vback to the bike shop as soon as possible NIC.
Thats the lot but plenty more happened but enough said.
Bob ( I think I enjoyed the experience and learned a lot from it. )

Struggled along and cleared double drops with aturn in between each .
Ruts at the bottom as you hit the gravel /stone track towards the lake.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:33 am 
Sounds like a tough one for you Bob. Codham can be a good challenge. One of my favourite courses (only fell off there once). The bits in the trees are the best, especially at the top section. I'm sure you'll pick yourself up and enjoy the similar course at MSG.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:55 pm 
Codham is a national again this year for the MSG, last year was windy and a bit wet... the grass sections routed along by where all the rabbit holes where... see a few OTB riders and nut crackers happen.. Good course and the technical sections are always good.. BMX track last year had a few of the 29'ers going into it a bit quick... plenty of skin left behind...

--------------------------------------
Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:20 pm 
I've ridden some of the world cup courses during past trip in Europe and that's tougher than anything else. And these guys they fly over everything, up and down. SO no worries Bob, that's not easy at all for us. See if I can race one of the rounds.

Better luck next time

My sponsor in Spain
http://aplbike.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:48 am 
I am up for Braintree MSG now I have done watch me fly ( over the bars and down the hills .Must get a good start as gears do not change smooth to say the least like me under pressure .
Right about the course it was descibed as flat but I must say I cannot remember that bit at all.
Bob

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:52 pm 
Hi all ,
Have come back from CORNWALL a broken man and my head in shame.....

Race report....... Round two national MTB/XC.

I left with the normal get there and suck it and see......
Sat night 9.00pm I left in my trusty van .
1.00am Sundaay I was tied just before M5 and pulled up in a layby to rest my eyes.....
When I opened my eyes after toassing and turning in the cold night .It was daylight and 5.00am in the morning ( result sort of. )
I got lost as per normal and circled round United Road followed aBrit Cycle truck to event in the end.
8.00am arrived.
I watched and had a walk round the track and first impressions was I am in a DH event . Lose slabs of rock and vertical drops and steep climbs . Took pictures of the course.
(There was a bit I did not see and was totally surprised within mins of the start.
Poor littlens was getting punctures and could not help them.
mech was happening to quite a few people.
I spoke to some youngster in the top band from Yorkshire and they got punctured in the race before mine on the first lap.
Non finishers I presume.
I had time to think the race through and run out of brave pills well before the start........
Last to the start in the afternoon and last to finish..... normal for my day so not disappointed in that.
I took a tactical view and walked pushed and throw the bike down slopes and up hills .
I was not going to
1 puncture
2 injury myself .
There was only 6 in the race and 6 th means points and if it goes to plan 80 of them.
Making me 145 and possibly 5/6 th in National rankings.
feel like a cheat but that is how the cooky crumbles . saving myself for the Braintree race....
(That looks easy compared to the westerners ride I tell you.
Left at 5.45pm Sunday and got home at 12,15 am Monday morning after getting lost on the M5 ??????
looking forward to another race and actually riding my bike .
good experience and should any body wish to swim in a poison pond and dive off a cliff and fall down a mine shaft , I recommend going to REDRUTH .
Bob

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:10 pm 
Cracking ride report, 1 thing bob is that when you've done a tuff race like that it makes the others easier.
When i did the Enduro in the Quantocks, i'd never ridden anything like it, but by the second round i knew what to expect and it made my riding better (I still crashed on every stage) but better.
Things that seemed far too steep to ride previously suddenly became rideable.

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

Post subject: BC National CC MTB Series rd 1-( full series ) rd 1 Braintr
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:37 pm 
Bob

Always a laugh reading your posts, probably not a laugh for you riding but makes for interesting reading for us...

Any conciliation the Braintree race will be on grass, and probably baked hard ground... Oh and a BMX track to play on.... Seeing the 29'ers doing Enders over the jumps is quite amusing

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:56 pm 
Hi,
The Braintree Course is a devil in desguise.
Done it in the National and crashed over the bars aswell.
But I am saving myself for a big effort as can get some points there as long as only 30 in my cat.
Back at work so furtyher up dates for a national hero to come.
Bob

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:03 pm 
Hi all ,
Well happy got confirmed I ranked 6 th (joint ) in the nationals . My Baldwick plan is working.......
Bring it on , I might start riding my bike instead of pushing it .
Bob