Forum

Post subject: Forks - New vs 2nd hand
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:33 pm 
Need a new set of forks. The '04 Rockshox pilots are due for retirement (and they were not much cop to begin with tbh)

Any thoughts on buying New vs Old. The old "Do I go for the brand new Ford Focus or a second hand BMW M3? "

Keeping a very tight budget of around £150 for a set of xc and trail forks (still riding hardtail so no mega travel needed) and having an 1" 1/8th steerer 200mm and 9mm QR I just cant decide on a set of spanking new Rockshox (from Sussed Out on Colchester - they have been brilliant in their email help) which leaves me looking at the new Rockshox XC's or am i better hitting the web looking for some "pre loved" Fox /SID's / etc.

Would be really interested to hear if anyone is using the latest XC28, 30, 32 or gold's and how they stack up agains a "One Careful Owner" 2011 SID's I have my eye on.

I wont be hitting huge drops - just holding people up at Danbury! (if you have upgraded, I am open to suggestions ;) )

Cheers,

Will

Post subject: Re: Forks - New vs 2nd hand
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:36 pm 
I have XC30 on my hardtail in 80mm flavour. they just about handle the more intense area of Danbury if ridden in moderation. Cable lockout they come with is useful on the road or when pedaling out the seat.

They do exhibit a little bit of creaking, but I can't be 100% sure its the fork that's making the noise or another nearby component of my front end, but for the money they were I can't grumble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:02 pm 
Personal opinion.
Alloy sanctions and air adjustable. Other than that get the travel you need

--------------------------------------
Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:05 pm 
What bike is it for?

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:56 pm 
Personally i would go new..!!
That way you know they have warranty etc.. eBay cheapy SID's etc may sound good but unless you can service them yourself you could end up paying more to get them sorted..!!

Have a look at Merlin cycles they have some bank holiday deals you might find what you want..!!

http://www.merlincycles.com/rockshox-su ... rks-44227/

Stay on target...!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:30 pm 
Cheers for the suggestions. The bike is an '04 GT Pantera, so fairly long head tube. If people have had a good experience with the latest rockshox, i will probably look for a new bargain.