Forum

Post subject: Wipeout king!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:04 pm 
Hi all, another MTB newbie here, been riding for a couple of months and think it is about time i shared some of my epic wipeouts with the general public. I love riding, i'm just not so good at it :wtf:

I'm on the Essex/Cambs border but have been told Epping and the surrounding area holds some of the best tracks in the SE, if you know where to look! So i am hoping i might be able to tag along on a ride or 2 with some of you guys.

I have the cheapest, heaviest bike i could find as i reckon if i can tame 'Iron Steed' i will be able to ride anything.

Look forward to hearing from some of you, and probably eating mud spray from others back tyres.

Scarper (aka Pete)

--------------------------------------
GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS

Post subject: Re: Wipeout king!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:37 am 
Hey Pete I live in Great Chishill, about 7 miles from you. Where do you ride locally?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:23 pm 
Hey Pearce, we are building/upgrading a xc circuit where I work. It's pretty flat as it's on an old airfield but with the addition to some better tech areas and hopefully a pump it will be pretty good. I also pop up to thetford and look for the unmarked tracks.Epping and other areas are closer so I will be exploring more in the future.

Where do you ride mate?

GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:39 am 
Sounds interesting, where is that XC track where you work?

I'm pretty new to MTB, so far I've only been to Thetford, Wormley and some off road bits around Chishill and Royston. I'm finding out new routes around here, I passed Howe Wood near Strethall which looked like it had been ridden a bit. Are there other woods that are any good round here?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:40 am 
I have only been on a MTB for about 2 months myself mate, so in the same boat really. Done Thetford red and pump track a few times and Cannock Chase. Starting to learn some of the routes around this area from the local club (they are mainly bridleways though) The airfield is located close to Wimbish just south of Saffron. Pretty sure it is gonna get a big uplift of man power and equipment in the next month as some of the bigwigs in station are keen to get it built.

GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:53 pm 
Is the local club Walden?
Let us know when the XC track is finished and ready to use.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:01 pm 
Well Walden is the closest club to me, and they will be using the airfield course quite a bit i think. I will let you know when it is finished mate, got a meeting on Wednesday to mark up the areas that need work doing.

Are you planning on getting down to Broxbourne and Epping in the near future? I can dig out my bike carrier if you need a lift sometime.

GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:55 pm 
Not in the near future no, can't until October, will probably hook up on one of the group Epping rides. In the meantime I'll be doing some local rides.

Is this airfield track the Carver Barracks, where they had that Mud Sweat Gears event?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:16 pm 
The exact same place mate. Saffron Velo are involved in the upgrade/build, had a meeting today and 1 on wens. Hopefully it will get some attention pretty soon.

GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:10 am 
Hi Pete,

Do people currently ride at Carver Barracks? I always see cars parked up on the lay by opposite the entrance.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:58 pm 
Those cars are most probably dog walkers, who come over to let there pups crap all over the place. The airfield is actually closed to the public as it is classed as an MOD training area, but the perimeter is so porous you can get on all the way around(noone ever gets thrown off, unless weapons are being fired). I ride up there most nights after work to try and set the new parts of the route as they are a bit overgrown. And get my rake, shovel and bowsaw out to open up new sections. I keep saying 'give me 10 blokes and a piece of plant for 1 week and it will be finished' still waiting out for though.

Still want to get down to Epping, maybe with some of the other guys from here.

GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS