Forum

Post subject: Wanted - Protective gear and advice for newbies
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:49 pm 
Great forum.

Having been to Chicksands and launched myself over the bars today I decided to try to reduce the risk of an A & E visit.

I'm looking for protective gear and lots of advice for myself and my son. Not wishing to spend a fortune but requiring adequate protection; what should we buy, from where and what size. We are both 6ft tall however my 14 year old son is small build whereas I'm not. There is much kit available but I have no idea whether to get medium or large for me or whether small will be correct for my son. Help!!!!

Post subject: Re: Wanted - Protective gear and advice for newbies
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:41 pm 
Firstly welcome!

Various brands will be slightly different for a given size. I can tell you I'm 6'1 and medium build. My IXS medium knee pads were a bit tight, the race face replacments (IXS out of stock) in large fit fine.

Going to a shop with stock would help, but its not always possible. Seeing as your buying everything twice I'd order a large of whatever and let you both try it on, Whoever it fits best gets to keep it, and you can order the corresponding size for whoever it didn't fit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:25 am 
Great advice thanks.

As for trying things on, are there any well stocked shops in Herts? I'm Stevenage based. I bought our Bikes from Edd's, however he doesn't stock clothing or protective gear.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:10 am 
Use Internet shops with with FREE returns that way you can order lots and return what doesn't fit..!!
Chainreactioncycles , Wiggle... Etc

--------------------------------------
Stay on target...!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:18 am 
Merlin70 wrote:
Great advice thanks.

As for trying things on, are there any well stocked shops in Herts? I'm Stevenage based. I bought our Bikes from Edd's, however he doesn't stock clothing or protective gear.

is Marshals near you?

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:20 am 
There are 2 great shops in Stevenage
contour cycles run by Stophe
and
Marshalls cycles run by Paul
you would get great service from both of them, both shops are very helpful. ( just to declare an interest here, i ride with them twice a week)

also i suggest you check out a skills day with Tony (Jedi) Doyle at UK Bike skills for you and your son, you couldnt spend your money more wisely :-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:26 am 
Thanks for the advice. My son has bookmarked several items from the Chain Reaction website but I had been reluctant to order when not really knowing the correct sizes or what kit is essential rather than desireable. Perhaps I need to get the basics oredered such as helmets, Knee and shin guards and slowly build from there.

There is a Marshall's in Welwyn which isn't far. Do they have a large range of clothing or are they loike most of the shops in North Herts with just a few items?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:50 am 
They have a a few items, but unlike chain reaction cycles where it is a good idea to buy all the sizes and have to send back the ones that dont fit and you have to shell out for all of them which is very expensive!
whereas the local shops can order in what you want and you only pay when you have decided, it takes a very similar amount of time.
also as they are both bikers they can probably advise you better on what you actually need, and sizing and future proofing etc.

they both ride here at herts North Shore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caso7zjp-so

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:11 am 
Excellent, thanks. I will go have a look. The track at North Shaw looks like it well worth a visit. Great video too.