Forum

Post subject: Saffron Walden & Bishops Stortford
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:22 pm 
Evening all, I'm new to the forum and based in Saffron Walden, does anyone ride out of this or the Bishops Stortford Area?

Would love to meet up with a regular group of weekend riders.
Cheers

James

Post subject: Re: Saffron Walden & Bishops Stortford
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:29 pm 
Welcome James,

i live just outside Saffron, but mainly travel to ride on a weekend (Epping or Danbury) There is plenty of bridleway and footpaths around the town that you can ride, and we are still building the XC loop up at Carver barracks airfield, although i wouldn't advise riding there any time soon as it is a mud fest after the duathlon at the weekend :lol: however it should be fit for purpose and ready for MSG as soon as the weather gets better (if it gets better) and i think we will be putting in some all weather surfaces in the worst areas.

--------------------------------------
GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:37 pm 
Thanks for the reply Scarper.

Didn't know about the Carver Barracks Airfield loop so thats great news. Who is building that up, would that be Walden Velo?

Drop me a message if you ever need a partner in crime to ride out on the bridleways, I tend to head out towards Debden and do the cabbage wood and antiques loop. I've headed out and done the Ashdon loop before but theres alot of styes invovled!

I might drop down to Epping this weekend as I think a large number of people are riding out.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:24 pm 
Walden Velo will host the round of MSG on the airfield, and they are pretty involved in the work up there. We (the army guys) up at Carver will probably do most of the heavy work (mud moving) and then it will be a joint effort with the finer parts and technical areas. If you ride up that way during the day, please look out for the red flags, if they are up then someone is firing some sort of weapon on the airfield and access is restricted.

GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:32 am 
Well if you ever need a hand mud moving give me a shout I'm more than happy to help out.

Thanks for the tip on the red flags! I'll know to look out for them in future.

Do you ever head over to Chicksands much?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:46 pm 
I drove that way once but didn't have my bike with me. Me + DJ = pain + breaks, but i do fancy some dual slalom over there and a loop or 2 of the XC route. Not sure what the surfaces are like there and how well they cope with the rain. Hoping to get down to Epping if the ride is on this sunday (fingers crossed the weather makes its mind up for the better) but that will be a sunday morning decision for me.

GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS