Forum

Post subject: Hong Kong riding
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:56 am 
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Hong-Kong- ... -2013.html
http://www.strava.com/activities/223652615
https://www.facebook.com/MTBHK?fref=ts
http://www.mtbhk.com/

Three years ago I went out to HK to see the rugby sevens with friends, what I found was an amazing city so much to offer with deferent cultures and ways of life. The one thing that also became quiet apparent was how hilly the area was (they have the worlds longest escalator series to get up the hill side) and how close to the jungle you are (took a 30 minute taxi from the city center and I was other side of the island on a deserted beach, don't think you could even get to Sounthend sea front in that time). After speaking with a few expats in the bars I soon found out that this combination mixed well for lots of mountain biking opportunities, something that I wished I'd known before arriving there.

To cut a long story short, last week I returned to HK on a family trip with whole intention of spending some time riding. I'd found a company that does bike hire and guided rides of the area. Just because of time restraints we ended up coming with the plan of doing a mid week night ride. I'd arranged with the owner of the company (Steve) to meet at one of the train stations on the mainland around 630, spotting him was not difficult with him standing next to a beaten up old pick up truck and two bikes hanging off the back of it. On the drive to the trails it turned out Steve moved out of Essex 15 years go to work in construction in HK, after wok had dried up he hatched a plan to do something he loved, so now is a full time tour and coach for school kids.

The night was spent riding around the trails in the Tai Lam Chung reservoir in the New Territories, its a real mixture of concrete fire roads, mixed use walkers trails, natural & man made mountain biking trails. We used the fire roads to get as much easy height as possible before hitting the walkers trails. These were a sandy stoney mix with lots of steps (fine for going down them but interesting for going up), some parts had to be hiked up if off shoots to the side to ride up were not available. The off shoots were steep, rocky, gullied technical single track which was so much fun to play on if you could manage to get to the top.

The natural single track was really good fun, winding up and down the hill side with roots and off camber sections to keep you on your toes. Steve had said that some of the original descents sections in the area use to just go straight down the hill side but due to monsoon season the trails would easily be washed away. Thankfully with the creation of the Hong Kong Mountain Bike Association (a violently group of riders) work had been put in place to build managed trails with substantiality. From what I saw there was plenty of work being carried out. The newly made descent of the 'tinman' trail being a high light of the ride with flowly bermed switch backs all the way down.

Getting back to the truck, I was nacard! It was not the most technical place I have ridden on the down (though defiantly one of the most on the ups with the steps) but it was still one of the most funniest and interesting (you are not going to forget riding in a jungle or bamboo forest in a hurry). To have somewell that good on your door step and that hilly as well would be a dream come true for most riders. Surrey Hills is one of the only other places I can think is similar in the riding style and riding movement in the area. Would I do it again, in a heart beat.

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

Post subject: Re: Hong Kong ridding
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:01 am 

Post subject: Re: Hong Kong riding
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:55 am 
Wicked! i'd love to go and is definitely on the shortlist of the places i'd like to go to but i doubt i'd get a day away from the family to go riding :(
Make the most of it matey!

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:06 pm 
Ohhh nice write up and video dude. Enjoyed reading that. looks amazing. Looked like a tough ride especially @ night!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:08 pm 
Very jealous Matt!

If i find myself back over that part of the world i am on it!

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:31 pm 
Video was just of the area to give an idea of what its like, better pictures and short videos on HKMBA fb page. Was not the cheapest thing to do but worth it for a one on one ride (around £100 for guide, and an £80 for the giant trance. Got it all for £130 in the end as had a local join us and for half the guid). A lot of the trails would have been too bizzy to ride quickly at the weekend with walkers so a night ride was very fun to do. Other thing Steve said about was some of the trails made been made and maintained by mountain bikers a number of years back and then walkers started using them (so they are in a weird place where walkers give way to the riders).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:11 pm 
Mattvanders wrote:
(so they are in a weird place where walkers give way to the riders).
Oh the dream :shock: :crazy: :thumbup:

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:21 pm 
Great vid!

My sponsor in Spain
http://aplbike.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:04 am 
Thumps up Matt :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:57 pm 
Nice report..beats the usual 'I was cold and wet in Wales' ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:44 pm 
bugeye wrote:
Nice report..beats the usual 'I was cold and wet in Wales' ;)

No way of it being cold out there at the moment, still around 20 degrees at night :mrgreen: