Forum

Post subject: Braintree newbie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:36 pm 
Hey Guys

My names Rob i live in braintree only been riding since november but im looking to get a few more rides in locally during the week if possible, i ride thetford alot and have been to afan forest once. I want to find a group of all abilities to be able to teach me to be a better rider. If any of you guys ride nearby PM me would be nice to ride in a group.

Thanks

Rob.

Post subject: Re: Braintree newbie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:08 pm 
Welcome Rob
The best way to organize a ride it to just post it up and see if there are any takers,

If you want specific bike coaching to become a better rider, jedi is the guy the speak with
http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk/

--------------------------------------
"Dude, She called you fat.... "OH HELL NO, HOLD MY CAKE"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:00 pm 
Hey Rob,

I'm also Rob and work in Braintree. Been MTBing for 15 years or so now (28 now) although I haven't done much riding over the winter so I'm trying to get back into it. Just persuaded 2 colleagues to buy bikes and they've never done MTBing. We're off down the Flitch Way this Sunday (05/6/2011) to break them in gently :D . Used to live in Wales so I've ridden lots of the good spots, especially in Souuth Wales, such as Afan. Also did quite a lot of riding on the Quantocks in Somerset until a few years ago. I also take part in the Exmoor Explorer every year. I keep wanting to do more group cycling but either haven't had the time or got round to finding like minded people!
You'd be more than welcome to join us on Sunday if you want. The two other people are complete beginners so I'm sure it will be any easy ride! PM me if you're interested.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:23 pm 
Heya robholland85 and welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:43 pm 
Hey Rob and Rob :? :? :? welcome to the forum...

I ride out on the Flitch Way sometimes, either end to end (Start Hill to Braintree or from Great Dunmow to Braintree) have a nice little detour by Rayne that takes you into the Notley country park, and round that then up the big hill (it's better going down it)

Cant ride out Sunday as doing the Mud Sweat and Gears race series in Surrey (Tunstall Forest) as will some otheres from this forum...

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:01 pm 
Yeah I've been meaning to do MSG. Will have to try next year or maybe one of the later races like Danbury or Braintree. Never done racing, little daunting doing it on my own! Thanks for the welcome!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:09 pm 
Hello

MSG ~ try the warrior category its an hour race its for fun and ment to be not to serious.

I don't look at getting best time per lap, just trying to do all laps.

As other said keep I on boards for July one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:28 pm 
Eccles wrote:
Never done racing, little daunting doing it on my own! Thanks for the welcome!

Not to worry, it is my first time racing as well. Did the warm up series on my jack jones and loved it. Great bunch of guys running the series and get talking to the other competitors as well...

Keep an eye on here for the next round (I forget where it is) and come along for a taster, just do the warrior race (what i'm doing) only an hour but great fun.. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:02 pm 
Next one is on 24th July at Danbury, so I may well pluck up the courage to do that. Previously just done enduro type things that aren't really races (but people always race, can't resist!). After that is Braintree, which I believe is only the 2nd time they've done it there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:52 am 
I was gonna do the tunstall race this weekend till i done my knee in last weekend at thetford. But would be up for the danbury race in july. I have heard that the braintree track is really good has anyone done it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:09 pm 
robholland85 wrote:
I have heard that the braintree track is really good has anyone done it?

Did last year was my 1st race did finish a full lap down to my fitness & sickness. But this year going to be a different story. (I hope) The year before it was run clockwise last year was anti clockwise.

I like it, The more technical bit a one end in the woods

It maybe on youtube. I did record a practices lap but ran out of disk space so never uploaded it.
VW race it a couple of times.

I looked at everytrail.com there isn't a map there maybe on one other other GPS sites.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:25 pm 
Thanks laser, i will have a look see what i can find, hopefully i will find out for myself if i can sort myself out and sign up for it this time!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:32 pm 
Hello Rob and Rob,

My name is also Rob, live in Saffron Walden so not to far from Braintree area. If you ever fancy a ride let me know. Only just got back on a bike last year so fitness is getting a bit better but need to do a hell of a lot more riding. Heading to Afan in July with some old school friends from when i lived in somerset. Doing Afan oneday and Mendips the next i think.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:53 pm 
Hello Robs2211,

Im off to uni in cambridge in september so rides out your way could be on the cards. I do alot of riding round thetford if you would be interested?