Forum

Post subject: Rear shocks - Guru mob advice please...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:41 am 
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade the rear end of my Norco Sight. When I changed the forks from 140 Fox 32 CTD to 160 34s it changed the bike totally - made it feel soo much more secure - so I want to do the same with the rear.

So I've sat down and thought about what it is I want from the rear and its these two things;

1 - Longer life - sounds strange but from the top to the bottom of say Bike Park Wales I feel the rear shock gets 'tired'. I've got the "Fox Float CTD Performance" to quote the spec.

2 - Control - When the shock is in descent and you are throwing it down a hill it's awesome - however the min I get to a flat bit or I have the chance to pedal up a bit it wallows all over the place like an ocean liner.

So I was thinking about simply upgrading the shock to Factory Float or Float X with the bar remote.

So questions of the mob before moving forward;

1 - The Factory Kashima Coat should improve it's staying power - right?
2 - Float vs Float X - I've read article after article after article about the two but I can't get a definitive answer to what the Float X adds?
3 - The law of small moving parts suggests that the bar remote will go wrong... does anybody have any experience with the Fox remote or stories they can share?
4 - TF Tuned - Reading their website they seem like cool guys (and girls?) and the idea of having a shock tuned by them sounds like a good idea or indeed buying it from them already tuned... but does anybody have any experience with them and is what they do worth it?

So there we are, stupid long post... hopefully I'll get loads and loads of valuable feedback :D

--------------------------------------
Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

Post subject: Re: Rear shocks - Guru mob advice please...
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:39 pm 
I had the rear shock on my 07 Enduro customised by mojo and it was much better it was the old DHL 5.0 no lashmira

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:42 pm 
Have you considered the monarch's ?

They are low cost for a lot of spec.

I have one on my spicy and it is very responsive vs the float that came off

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:16 pm 
I've a Monarch on the RM - totally different beast but I've never thought about one for the Norco... Was thinking about the Cane Creek double barrel jobby...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:57 pm 
stumpie wrote:
1 - Longer life - sounds strange but from the top to the bottom of say Bike Park Wales I feel the rear shock gets 'tired'. I've got the "Fox Float CTD Performance" to quote the spec. The main difference between the float and float x is the extra reservoir for the dampor unit, this will allow for extra heat build up and less difference in damporing on long desents. Draw back is the extra weight of the unit and oil in side

2 - Control - When the shock is in descent and you are throwing it down a hill it's awesome - however the min I get to a flat bit or I have the chance to pedal up a bit it wallows all over the place like an ocean liner.I have got a CTD fork and i really can't feel much of a difference between the trail and decent, but i have only used it a couple of times at the moment, pro pedal on my rear shock does not do loads but i think a custom tune would help with this, think it is also due to my lack of weight/less pressure needed to set the sag at 30%.

So I was thinking about simply upgrading the shock to Factory Float or Float X with the bar remote.

So questions of the mob before moving forward;

1 - The Factory Kashima Coat should improve it's staying power - right?Kashima coating is to make the surface extra slippery so you would expect to run a bit more pressure to counter opt the extra movement/keep the 30% sag
2 - Float vs Float X - I've read article after article after article about the two but I can't get a definitive answer to what the Float X adds?
3 - The law of small moving parts suggests that the bar remote will go wrong... does anybody have any experience with the Fox remote or stories they can share?
4 - TF Tuned - Reading their website they seem like cool guys (and girls?) and the idea of having a shock tuned by them sounds like a good idea or indeed buying it from them already tuned... but does anybody have any experience with them and is what they do worth it?Tonks has used them as well as damo, as far as i know they think they are great and worth it. A custom tune will take into account your (how should i word this) extra weight (its all mussel after all) and your riding style and needs. All shocks and forks are set for an average weight and style of rider.

Hope this helps a bit but suspension is such a black art as every ride is different in their needs

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:24 pm 
Thanks Vanders ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:23 pm 
As already told you.....
Shock feeling tired is due to the oil heating up - Only way to beat heat build up in a shock is to go coil - far less contact surfaces, so less friction, more plush, less heat. Alternatively shell out £500 for Float X as the external FRP helps due to increased oil volume.

As for damping, as said, get push tuned Factory Float CTD - for what you'll ever need, will be more than adequate.

SPS Santa Cruz V10c / Lapierre Spicy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:28 pm 
NickTKS wrote:
As already told you.....
Shock feeling tired is due to the oil heating up - Only way to beat heat build up in a shock is to go coil - far less contact surfaces, so less friction, more plush, less heat. Alternatively shell out £500 for Float X as the external FRP helps due to increased oil volume.

As for damping, as said, get push tuned Factory Float CTD - for what you'll ever need, will be more than adequate.

Thanks Uncle Nick...