Forum

Post subject: Handlebar setup
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:33 am 
Probably a silly question, but what are the markings for on the Renthal bars and stem?

I have set mine up as pictured. They look right, and feel right, but from the markings on the stem and bars, it appears that I have set them at an 'extreme', or 'end of range' setting, ie, the markings on the stem are nearly out of range of the markings on the bars.

I went for a ride yesterday, then felt OK, but I'm curious to know what the setup markings are for?

--------------------------------------
Specialized Enduro Comp 2015

Post subject: Re: Handlebar setup
PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:13 am 
From the angle of the picture they look correct (ish) hard to tell without looking.
The markings on the bar all depend on what stems being used as the all have different openings so how could they possibly be correct for all stems? set it up on how it feels not only on the markings.

I moved mine on wednesday, I always "had" my bars with no real back sweep and pushed slightly forward, now moved back using all the sweep, really made a big handling difference.

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:30 am 
To me they look like they could be rolled a little bit forward so that the raise section of the bar (think, grips, raise and clap as the three different areas of a bar) is at 90 degrees to the ground. there is no right or wrong way but you will be surprised by having a little play and seeing what feels better.

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:02 pm 
That makes sense, rolling them forward a little will put the markings more 'in range' with the stem lines. The stem is a Renthal Apex, 70mm. The Bars are 20mm rise.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:14 pm 
But then you'll lose the sweep and potetially cause hand pain. thats why i moved mine back.
go with what feels comfortable.

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:12 pm 
If you are happy with how they feel then stick with it... or make a small change and decide if you prefer it or not.

Don't focus on the markers unless you've been fitted for the bike and you want to stick to your prescription...

Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:21 pm 
As said just make small adjustments at a time! I run that stem & bars (non carbon)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:47 pm 
Only thing i would add is a mark to line up, or note down how you have them set up when you get them right for you. Then if you decide to do some maint or swap something that requires you removing or just moving your bars you can put them straight back.

GIANT TRANCE X 29er
BIRD AERIS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:18 pm 
If it's a medium you have added 10mm to stem length and 10mm bar rise so it will feel different from your previous set up

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:32 pm 
It's a large, so I have reduced stem length by 5mm and the rise change is unknown, I think the 'low rise' Spesh bars were 20 or 25mm? The Spesh specs are a little vague on the rise measurement, so I chose a Rethal bar that was in the same ball park visually.

I'm happy with my initial settings, but I will try small adjustments until I'm completely happy.

I was simply curious as to the setup markings on the stem and bars, but like everyone has mentioned, they are largely irrelevant if setup is judged more by feel and comfort and are there for reference only.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:15 am 
Sounds good my low rise bars are 10mm and always good to shorten your stem for trail riding :)