Forum

Post subject: What body armour for trail use?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:34 pm 
The kit list is along one.....

What body armour are you wearing?

--------------------------------------
Specialized Enduro Comp 2015

Post subject: Re: What body armour for trail use?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:51 pm 
After a nasty seat to hip incident on my old bike on a messy landing I have worn my poc shorts on every ride since. Not had a chance to fully test them but I feel a bit safer. Knee pads are optional dependant on trail and I forget from time to time my backpack has a back protector in it, but it does :)

I bought some shin pads recently, but I can't see me getting on with them as I don't feel I can get a good range of movement in my ankles with them. I don't really want a shin pad as such, just a neoprene sleeve that covers from my sock to my kneepad and protects from those spinny pedal pin to leg moments.

Gloves (have winter ones) and elbow pads are something I don't have but am sort of considering. Will most likely have to injure first as with the above scenario!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:50 am 
Gloves 90% of the time. Something over my knees 100% of the time (3/4 bibs or knee warmers) knee pads 70% of the time (any steep rocky rooty) skid lid always. Full face if I'm jumping lots and a brace if it's steep all the time. Elbow pads if it's wet and steep. When I started I did sometimes wear a full suit thing for dh. All about confidence. I've crashed a bit but never really hurt myself touch wood.

Personal preference innit

Stay loose

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:41 am 
There are so many options ! it's bonkers.

These look OK.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/nuke ... -prod68912

This also looks good, giving you the option to use elbow and knee pads with or without it, depending on what you are doing

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/troy ... -prod59939

The POC VPD knee and elbow gurads get good reviews.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:47 pm 
Ye gods, body armour for trail riding?

Besides a decent lid in 30 odd years I've never worn anything else MTBing, and those with a perverted mind no you haven't seen a naked man riding the trails on a full susser with just a lid on.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:40 pm 
Knees 100% of the time after a left knee crash. Troy lee body armour hw something to protect my bowel surgery scar only recently purchased after crashing on my scar and hospital having a hissy fit :) gloves as I find they stop arm pump. Elbows if it's slippy or rocky trail lid normally and fullface when playing :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:42 pm 
robertpb wrote:
Ye gods, body armour for trail riding?.

Yeah, I get your point, I'm thinking more BPW types trails, rather than everyday stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:32 pm 
Never felt I've needed it even on black runs even though I've written off two lids in the past 7 years.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:47 am 
I think the definition of trail needs to be defined.

A quick blast round local woods, then always gloves, knee pads (lighter D30 ones) and trail helmet (current TLD A1), and for more gnarly stuff add a full face plus googles as I like the feel/protection they offer. I feel nekkid with knees showing plus they are the part that is most likely to make contact with the ground should you come off.

Not a huge fan of the massive plastic full armour, just seems a bit OTT plus if you are in hot day in alps for example its a bit mental. Got padded shorts too I sometimes put on and 661 lightweight compression T-shirt thingie, and a D30 back protector in back pack.

Some places like Chicksands are softish/sandy but others lilke BPW are pretty rocky which may need a bit more protection, plus it always seems to be freezing/wet in Wales......and I went in August last time !