Forum

Post subject: Epping 22nd March
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:53 pm 
Spring has sprung I think :)

I had a bit of a reccy on Sunday and loads of trails are actually dry :o .... other bits not so much ( think swamp ) but it's Epping so that's to be expected :D

Leaving at 10:00am from Bury Rd car park. http://goo.gl/maps/BFzFT

The car park linked is in two halves... rough part and a tarmac part. Either part is fine as you can see one from the other.

If you're running late and miss the start you may be able to join us at the bacon stop here - https://goo.gl/maps/z3ni5 We usually stop at the cafe next to the Kings Head at about 12:00, although be warned we don't always stop there and the time can vary ;)

We ride for about 4 hrs ( maybe a bit longer ) and cover about 20 miles ;) depending on the route. Pace is moderate with a bacon stop about halfway through :thumbup:

All Welcome.

FAQ.

What do I need to bring?

Apart from you and a bike...
Some way of dealing with a puncture a spare inner tube in whatever flavour you need is best as it’s quick to change... a repair kit is good to carry but a bit of a faff to use in the middle of a ride. If you’ve got a tube lots of people will help you to change it... pull out some patches and glue and we’ll meet up with you on the next ride ;) . A pump, someone will have one but you should have your own anyway.

A chain quick link to match your chain type for those broken chain moments.

Multi tool and tyre levers, again someone will probably have them but so should you!

Something to drink and a snack.... cereal bar, banana or similar. We stop for bacon but you never know when the munchies will hit.

Is the ride suitable for beginners?

Really the answer is yes and no.... This isn’t a ‘fast’ ride but you do need some sort of basic fitness level ( not much... but some ) . There aren’t any massive descents that need full body armour but there are some ‘interesting’ sections. Nothing that can’t be rolled over. Lots of slippery roots to keep you on your toes though.

We stop at the end of each section for everyone to catch up and get their breath back, although maybe not as much as you would like. We try ( with limited success sometimes ) not to lose anyone.

So...

Just bought a bike and haven’t done any sort of exercise for the past 20 years, this was me a year ago ;) , you’re possibly going to struggle but come along anyway and give it a go. If it’s too much for you or the rest of the group are having to wait too long we can point you at the fire roads and you can enjoy the day at your own pace :thumbup:

Just bought a bike or been riding for a bit and have any level of fitness... yes you’ll be fine.

Post subject: Re: Epping 22nd March
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:40 pm 
Cya @ 10 :) was going to replace my front brake but shop too busy so will ride with the old crappy one! be good to get out it's been way tooooo long!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:35 pm 
Want to go but not sure had a calf strain for over 2 weeks ,so no riding since ,seems as if it's going to be a recurring injury
:(

--------------------------------------
Vitus Escarpe 29

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:45 pm 
Not so good Harry... how did you do it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:51 pm 
Day after bedgebury was at work got sharp burning pain and was struggling to walk the rest of the day not been too bad but get little twinges now and then .Had it worse 18 months ago couldn't put any weight on it for a week .

Vitus Escarpe 29

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:53 pm 
Same leg I had bad ligament damage to a few years ago ,falling apart Martin.

Vitus Escarpe 29

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:30 pm 
Strange how as you get older more bits just decide to randomly stop working.

Have you tried ibuprofen gel, really good for anything muscular ... keeps various parts of me mobile :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:58 pm 
Yes tried and stronger stuff I have for the arthritis I have in my left foot ,dam I need putting down .

Vitus Escarpe 29

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:12 am 
Bugger..... Well i'm riding the MSG Carver Barracks race that day.

Would like to get back over to epping see how its been.

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:50 pm 
I'll see you there, at 10 AM.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:48 pm 
chatman wrote:
Would like to get back over to epping see how its been.

Well if last Sunday is anything to go by... there are holes in places that didn't have holes before, usually just where you'd rather there wasn't a hole... there are lots of low branches that weren't there on the last ride and quite a few trees have fallen over :D

Also there are some bits that look like they are just a little dip but are actually 18" deep ditches full of leaves.... that one hurt :lolno:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:04 pm 
I may join in, if I can make it on time! If so, will stay up to 12:00-1.00pm max, have to go back and watch the Milano-Sanremo 8-)
Just fitted some Conti X-King, need to try them

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:12 pm 
I can't make it tomorrow guys.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:20 pm 
Ill be joining the Epping rides around late June unfortunately. Enjoy the good weather everyone!

GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:43 pm 
Be good to see you out and about mate, been ages as for yesterday was a lovely ride and Epping is shockingly dry for this time of year :) my bike was cleaned oiled and put away within 20 minutes lol.