Forum

Post subject: Buying new bike
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:13 pm 
Hi all wanted to ask the question what's the best full suspension mountain bike to buy have around £1500 to spend any ideas ? Thanks

Post subject: Re: buying new bike
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:57 pm 
You need to narrow the question down to what you want to do with it, ie does it have to be a short, long travel, light or heavy duty bike.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:13 am 
Want to use it for trails and general off road riding as well as some on road riding so thinking ling travel would be best and also would like it to be as light as possible one of my friends said to me about the Boardman 650b full suspension team comp bike but I was wondering I there are any better out there or different brands too...

Post subject: Buying new bike
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:45 am 
There really are many different options, Boardman bikes don't always get the best of deals but I guess they are a good place to start.

If you are spending £1500 though I'd seriously consider a used bike (probably a year or so old). You'll get so much more bike.

Either that or with a £1500 budget I'd probably opt for an aggressive hardtail as that will be just as capable (if not more so) than many budget full sus bikes.

Here's what I'd look at (I have a custom version): http://shop.birdmtb.com/zero/zero-7.html

Then all I would do is have a dropper post fitted (and you can get them to do that when they supply it).

Also bike manufactures have demo days and Bird operate out of Swinley Forest so you can go and try one out and possibly even join a local ride so you get the most out of it.

Important thing to note is you don't need a full sus bike... And you'll get a much better hardtail...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------
Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:47 am 
This is probably the best £1,500 bike I know of, http://www.radon-bikes.de/en/bikes/moun ... de-275-80/

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:36 am 
Thanks guys will have a look and go to some bike open days and ask around some cycling shops see if I can get a demo too thanks...

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:16 am 
Thanks to the Euro collapse the Commencal Meta V4 can be bought direct for under £1500, AM long travel (the yellow/black ones) or the lighter 120mm travel XC/Trail version (orange/black ones).
Tricky finding one to demo, but a higher spec version won trail bike of the year.

Bird Aeris starts from £1550, have one myself. I'd demo one of them and a Zero at Swinley if you get a chance as it will help you decide full suss vs hardtail.

Riding a full susser on the road can be a pain unless its just to get to your local trails. In fact you could say the same for any mountain bike, roadies will fly past. But you'll be having 10x more fun once you hit the trails.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:29 am 
Thanks guys will definitely check them out for sure and have a demo too and then make some decisions thanks again

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:19 am 
I had been running the older commencal meta frame for 2-3 years and have to say they are very fast, fun and conference inspiring. There is a shop in harlow way (bike active) that still imports commencal bike so could try one if they have one in stock (for fit), not sure what the price different would be though.

The bird bikes are really good as well, did the same demo day.

Worth looking at on one 456 as well if you fancy a hardtail (learn a lot more starting out on hardtail and can be more fun if its the right one)

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING