Forum

Post subject: Epping - where to ride and when is the next evening ride ?!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:51 pm 
Hi there. I have recently got back into cycling and live in South Woodford.

Would love to come cycling with you guys one week - when do you start evening riding?

Also - how easy is Epping to ride if you just turn up and try and find the trails? If i went to Bury Road carpark (where you meet) would i easily be able to find some trails without going round in circles.

I've ridden Swinley a few times and they have desginated routes not sure its the same here......??

Thanks for any help!! :D

Post subject: Re: Epping - where to ride and when is the next evening ride
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:04 pm 
Hi Lucy,

No organised evening rides right now that I know of... I might be posting a ride for this Sunday... just waiting to find out if I have to work or not :problem:

There aren't any official trails and nothing is signposted but they are pretty easy to find this time of year.... ride along one of the fireroads and if you see a gap with a bit of a smoothish trail heading in to the woods that's one. It may run out after a 100ft or it may take you right across the forest... only one way to find out ;)

Easy one to find from Bury Road carpark.... just to the right at the start of the fireroad running into the trees is a trail....

It's single track and runs under a tree branch and into the woods...

Just keep following it up hill, it crosses fireroads sometimes with a bit of a dogleg and you'll either come out at the top at Avey lane or near High Beech.

Going round in circles... almost certain to happen but even if you get completely lost a bit of tarmac and google maps on your phone will get you back to the car park.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:20 pm 
Excellent....... thank you !! I'll give it a go and see what happens!

I'm riding Swinley this weekend but will keep an eye on here for future rides......

Some of the website pics make it look pretty hardcore downhill (full helmets, armour etc). Is that Epping or somewhere else?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:46 pm 
Nothing 'hardcore' in Epping, some of the trails have got little kickers that you can get airborne on if you try and there are a couple of proper jumps and a few small bomb holes hidden away but you'd have to go looking for them and it's pretty obvious that they are coming ;)

Pretty 'classic' south of England single track really lots of tight twisty runs with a few roots thrown in.

A full face helmet would be pretty daft really... just land up with a boiled head :crazy:

I wear knee pads ( dodgy knees ) and sometimes light elbow pads. Glasses are a good idea especially at this time of year... lots of low hanging branches, brambels etc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:13 pm 
Ok thanks a lot - really appreciate your help!

Hopefully sort out a ride soon!