Forum

Post subject: Epping 7th June
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:14 am 
Weather looks good :D

My legs will be a bit tired from Saturdays Evans Ride it so expect a gentle pace on the climbs.... same as normal then ;)

Route.... usual bits..

Leaving at 10:00am from Bury Rd car park. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.635904,0.012584//@51.635456,0.012647,191m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m4!4m3!1m1!4e1!1m0?hl=en

Postcode - E4 7QJ

The car park linked is in two halves... rough part and a tarmac part. Either part is fine as you can see one from the other.

If you're running late and miss the start you may be able to join us at the bacon stop here - https://goo.gl/maps/z3ni5 We usually stop at the cafe next to the Kings Head at about 12:00, although be warned we don't always stop there and the time can vary ;)

We ride for about 4 hrs ( maybe a bit longer ) and cover about 20 miles ;) depending on the route. Pace is moderate with a bacon stop about halfway through :thumbup:

All Welcome.

FAQ.

What do I need to bring?

Apart from you and a bike...
Some way of dealing with a puncture a spare inner tube in whatever flavour you need is best as it’s quick to change... a repair kit is good to carry but a bit of a faff to use in the middle of a ride. If you’ve got a tube lots of people will help you to change it... pull out some patches and glue and we’ll meet up with you on the next ride ;) . A pump, someone will have one but you should have your own anyway.

A chain quick link to match your chain type for those broken chain moments.

Multi tool and tyre levers, again someone will probably have them but so should you!

Something to drink and a snack.... cereal bar, banana or similar. We stop for bacon but you never know when the munchies will hit.

Is the ride suitable for beginners?

Really the answer is yes and no.... This isn’t a ‘fast’ ride but you do need some sort of basic fitness level ( not much... but some ) . There aren’t any massive descents that need full body armour but there are some ‘interesting’ sections. Nothing that can’t be rolled over. Lots of slippery roots to keep you on your toes though.

We stop at the end of each section for everyone to catch up and get their breath back, although maybe not as much as you would like. We try ( with limited success sometimes ) not to lose anyone.

So...

Just bought a bike and haven’t done any sort of exercise for the past 20 years, this was me a year ago ;) , you’re possibly going to struggle but come along anyway and give it a go. If it’s too much for you or the rest of the group are having to wait too long we can point you at the fire roads and you can enjoy the day at your own pace :thumbup:

Just bought a bike or been riding for a bit and have any level of fitness... yes you’ll be fine.

Post subject: Re: Epping 7th June
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:05 am 
Went out of a quick one last night and was buzzing as to how good the trails were - faaaaaaast and flowy. Averaged 16k an hour all on singletrack. Out on Sunday but not sure where and if its Epping will be a big 40k + ride. I might see you en route.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:55 am 
It looked like you enjoyed it from your Stava track.... especially those downhill bit next to Earls Path :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:21 pm 
Im in! Its great news that your legs will be tired. Im massively unfit. Last piece of real cycling i did was that December ride!

--------------------------------------
GT Chucker XS1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:48 pm 
I'm in. see you there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:50 pm 
Good news Tolga :thumbup:

What part of Epping were you planning on throwing yourself at for our entertainment ?

Are you going low level... you know a puddle splash, Tolga's Puddle is still worth a look ;) and there's always that stump on the downhill by Clays Lane......

Or... are you going to raise the bar a bit.... quite a few low hanging branches.... sure you could do something with them?

On second thoughts... don't tell us, just let it be a surprise ;)

:D :lol: ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:08 pm 
:lol: So many places, im so unfit and lost (what little) skill i had, i wont be surprised if i come off several times.

Should be a good day, cant wait to be cycling properly again :thumbup:

GT Chucker XS1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:44 pm 
Not done Epping for years. 2012!
See you Sunday.

Warning my crank arm may decide to fall off. Twice today!

Four others coming with me.

Last edited by Laser on Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:08 pm 
Hopefully make it if i can get new tyres and get set up tubeless .

Vitus Escarpe 29

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:20 am 
Managed to get my old tyres and tubes fitted and seated so will make the ride go tubeless at a later date .

Vitus Escarpe 29

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:12 pm 
Bugger! looks like trains are screwed for me tomorrow so I won't be able to make it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:51 pm 
Sounds good, see you there :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:34 pm 
See you there :wave:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:05 pm 
Wish I could make it....

Post subject: Epping 7th June
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:02 pm 
Good one today