Forum

Post subject: New member looking to get back into riding
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:34 pm 
Hey all. New here so be gentle! :lol:

I used to ride every other week or so at Danbury common around 2008-2009, went away to uni in Southampton and didn't ride much. Since then I've been back to Danbury once, but sadly it seems the trails I liked to the right of the fireroad leading to the mansion have been closed off. The ones off to the left were a little too extreme for me.

Been up to Thetford forest once, the red route was fun although I did skip the black features.

Basically I'm looking to get back into riding, lose a little weight and get my fitness back, while hopefully meeting some like-minded people :wave:

I've seen a couple of videos of Thorndon and Langdon which looked like fun and my kind of riding (wheels very much on the ground!) so I hope to head over to them sometime when the weather is nice.

Currently riding a 2006 Saracen Detox which weighs about as much as a tank, handles like a hovercraft and is worth about as much as a dead tree. I did upgrade the brakes to some Avid Juicy 5's a long time ago to help me chicken out of things a little faster :D

Hope to meet some of you sometime in the next few weeks!

Post subject: Re: New member looking to get back into riding
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:23 pm 
Welcome along, there is still plenty of trail riding to be had over danbury if you know where you are going so don't give up, go for an explore (most of the stuff is north of the common).

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:45 pm 
Thanks. I did head over to the north side once or twice, but not in the past few years. I wasn't too keen on the bomb holes, some of them were very rollercoaster like in how it was a constant up and down.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:38 am 
Hi mate, ive recently got back into it aswell after a 2-year break. i loved danbury and plan to get there very soon. I went to Hadleigh on Saturday and that was a superb track, perfect for finding your feet again. I'm going up to Langdon Hills later today to explore, not ridden there but been told it has some good xc trails. I used to ride up Thorndon with some of the guys off here but apart from the main fire road loop I cant remember where the good stuff is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:54 pm 
Thanks. I wasn't sure how advanced Hadleigh would be from what I could see on the internet. Is it all open, but technical? I recall from the olympics much of it wasn't in and amongst the trees? I'll be interested to hear how you get on at Langdon and what is there!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:23 am 
Hi dhr90, i have also just come back to riding a couple of weeks ago. I sometimes am free in the early afternoon during the week, drop me a PM if you want to go riding around Danbury.
J

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:30 am 
I found a bomb hole over westleigh heights with a few jumps and drops so stayed there for a bit, didnt manage to explore langdon hills.
hadleigh is all open, the track has some black features which can be avoided, it really is a great track and its free and open 24/7. ive just joined the club so am hoping to get out on a few rides.
im out for a ride most weekdays after work.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:24 pm 
JC1961 wrote:
Hi dhr90, i have also just come back to riding a couple of weeks ago. I sometimes am free in the early afternoon during the week, drop me a PM if you want to go riding around Danbury.
J

Thanks, probably limited to weekends though thanks to work getting in the way of riding! What are the trails to the left of the fireroad like?

8600keith wrote:
i found a bomb hole over westleigh heights with a few jumps and drops so stayed there for a bit, didnt manage to explore langdon hills.
hadleigh is all open, the track has some black features which can be avoided, it really is a great track and its free and open 24/7. ive just joined the club so am hoping to get out on a few rides.
im out for a ride most weekdays after work.

Interesting. Sounds like Hadleigh would be worth a try at least then! Is full sus advised? I really hate riding my bike uphill, partly due to its weight, but mainly due to me being fantastically unfit :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:22 am 
The bombhole over Westley heights cant be touched, the rangers don't mind you riding there but don't dig as its on a badgers den.
There's a few of us that pop over there during the week friendly bunch so if you see us come and have a chat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:56 am 
Don't go to Hadleigh if you are looking to avoid uphill riding

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/