Forum

Post subject: Mavic Crossmax Enduro's!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:52 pm 
Hi peeps,

Going to look at a Crossmax wheelset next week , I'm currently running Flow ZTR'S on pro two hubs which have been spot on & low maintenance!

I'm reading up & getting mixed reviews regarding the rear wheel, loose hubs, loose spokes, very soft rear rim 19mm!

As a whole the test reviews regarding the WTS set are good but maintenance is high regarding the rear wheel?

These seem to be more of a race orientated wheelset for pro riders that don't have to maintain their wheels?

P.s I ride all year round ( no winter hack ) so dont really want to be adjusting hubs every other ride etc!

All advise much appreciated ! , may be some reviews are alittle overkill!

Post subject: Re: Mavic Crossmax Enduro's!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:02 pm 
My brother has some Crossmax's and the rear definitely seems high maintenance.
Any wheel that requires a 'special Mavic spanner' to change a disintegrated freehub gets a no from me.
I've been running the Superstar Switch/Novatech cheap and cheerful hubs for ages and they do the job, easy to maintain, parts are cheap, stick some good bearings in and they last for ages (newer model comes with SKF bearings anyway).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:48 am 
I'd stick with tried and tested hope hubs all day long ,fully maintainable at home..!!

If anything I would upgrade rims and spokes, that is unless you want a change of hubs..

We all know hope rear hubs are marmite.!!

You either love them or hate them...CLICK CLICK CLICK :lol: :lol: :lol:

--------------------------------------
Stay on target...!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:39 pm 
Mate has some of the corssmax and has flat spotted the rear about 5 times, after a matter of 2 weeks.

I would avoid if possible, especially if you don't like maintaining them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:14 pm 
Cool cheers for the advise people , my current wheel set has been spot on & covered just under 2k with no problems what soever ! as said maintenance is super easy too!

The reviews vary so much!!!

only looked at them as I know the fella & only 3 months old!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:22 pm 
I have had crossmax on both bikes for yonks ( 2yrs) ruined one rim by pilot error. brilliant wheels

http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:32 am 
I've got a set of mavic crossmax SX wheels (2012ish?), i bought them secondhand. I run them on the meta and now the spitfire. These have done a hell of a lot of millage, seen a few dh day at places like Aston Hills, Cwm carn, BPW and the mother of all rocky trails Snowdon rangers path. I got the bearing replaced last winter (were still running fine before hand, more of a precausion) and have only broken 1 spoke, I really can't fought them. If/when i go to 27.5" i will be deffiantly sticking with mavic (either the enduros or the XL)

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:30 am 
Mattvanders wrote:
I've got a set of mavic crossmax SX wheels (2012ish?), i bought them secondhand. I run them on the meta and now the spitfire. These have done a hell of a lot of millage, seen a few dh day at places like Aston Hills, Cwm carn, BPW and the mother of all rocky trails Snowdon rangers path. I got the bearing replaced last winter (were still running fine before hand, more of a precausion) and have only broken 1 spoke, I really can't fought them. If/when i go to 27.5" i will be deffiantly sticking with mavic (either the enduros or the XL)

Was waiting for your replie mate! did read up on the SX , they get very good reviews , light , strong , do it all wheel set !
perfect for AM riding!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:44 am 
I think peoples main gripe is mavic shaved & slimmed down alot of weight on the rear wheel 19mm rim & 20 spokes to help with rolling resistance!

Personally think it boil's down to rider ability & what your using the wheelset for !

Planing on getting the spoke tension checked before running them!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:46 am 
The only draw back with Mavic wheels is they need their own spokes as I found out, not all bike shops stock them so it is worth having some in the toolbar/sparesbox. Thing is, even when I broke it the wheel still run true so you could ride home if needed. SX wheels do get brilliant reviews as an all mountain alpine set, fit and forgot. Speak to ducan, he runs enduros and XL on his bikes to tell you the difference's.

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:57 am 
Also, don't you have to send them back to mavic if they are well and truly buggered? That's what I've heard anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:03 pm 
Matt- yep spoke to Duncan!, he loves them!

Tom- Heard some set's went back!, but warranty maybe! Mavic dealers should be able to sort it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:27 pm 
Why would you have to send wheels back to mavic? rims, spokes etc are all readily available. contour cycles re rimmed my fucked one and marshalls cycles changed the bearings last week too

http://www.ukbikeskills.co.uk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:08 am 
No idea...like i said, it's what I've heard. Maybe it's to do with replacement wheels rather than just repairs.

My mate has them on his canyon strive, super nice wheels, light and a great am/trail bike wheel - but he has had a lot of problems with them, and I have read and seen others.