Forum

Post subject: London Biker looking for Downhill options
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:30 pm 
Hi guys,

I'm Zoltan, 23, and I moved to London approximately 2 years ago. After I moved I stopped biking, because I just couldn't find the time (and place) for Downhill MTB in London, and to be honest I didn't even bother that much, as my job didn't even let me think about it for too long. But recently I visited my mates back in my home city and went off riding - and god did I miss it. Therefore I'm looking for some place to go (actually I don't even own a bike yet, but that's the least of my problems), or people to ride with in/near London.

Can anyone help me out please?

Regards,

Post subject: Re: London Biker looking for Downhill options
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:26 am 
What are your transport options?

--------------------------------------
Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:23 am 
Welcome along, what sort of level of rider are you? Worth looking into danbury common as a starting place to ease you in before looking at Aston hills and PORC. Worth looking in to general trail riding at Surrey hills area as some of the trails are full on (steep and large gap jumps).

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:59 am 
Unfortunately my transport options are limited to public transport at the moment. My level... Well, I can't say for sure, I havent ridden a bike in 3 years (save for the one when I visited my mates), so I'd say somewhere betweem beginner and average at the moment. I'm not sure how the lack of transport limits my options though, checked out these places you mentioned, and it seems like it limits a lot. Surrey seems to be the best option, as that is the closest one.

Well, thanks for the answers anyways! :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:37 am 
Welcome Zoltan - Lots of info here including transport options

http://www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk/mtb-trails.php

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:50 am 
I'd do to swinley and get a feel for the bike in a relatively safe environment then go exploring the bigger stuff later.

Bike pics

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:00 pm 
You can hire bikes at Swinley, take one out and try the marked trails to get a feel on the bike. There is nothing too technical there but the faster you go the more 'interesting' and fun it becomes (has a sandy/stonely surface that is eaily to wash out on in places but has huge berms in others).

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:59 am 
Swinley looks a bit too far away (~8hours with public transport, I assume it wouldn't be much less if I was to go by car), so I guess that's not an option, since I can't really have more than 2 days off in a row (even 2 is a miracle sometimes). Surrey and Danbury sounds a bit better, however it's still gonna be tricky. Oh well, I guess I'd better look for a car first.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:35 pm 
Easy mate. It depends where you live in london. I've done swinley by train and it's actually ok. Only about 15 minutes from the station. The surry hills are a ball-ache with the exception of leith hill which it actually pretty easy to get to from a station. If you like jumping come find us in Enfield?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:17 pm 
I might have checked for the wrong direction though. Unfortunately I live close to central, in Colindale. Enfield is actually pretty close. I just checked it again, and Swinley is actually pretty much the same time as everything else (~2 hours). I don't know what I checked, I guess I was a bit sleepy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:13 am 
Have you considered ZIP car or similar for a short time rental ?

It might cover you to get to various locations for a couple of hours

Bike pics

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:56 pm 
I guess that could be an option, not sure about prices on them, but probably it would be waaaay cheaper to just use national rails.

I'm gonna check out Danbury and Swinley soon (without bike) anyways, just so I know where are the tracks, how to get there etc :) So nearly there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:50 am 
8 Hours !

Think you are looking at the wrong Swinley, you could be in the Alps in 8 hours or a bit less to get to Wales spots like Bike park Wales.

Ive got a train to various spots, Danbury is nearish to me and good for jumpy/DH type fun, Aston Hill, Chicksands, Woburn all doable by train, visited Aston by train and its not a bad ride from Wendover (except the last killer steep bit !).

Have a peek at the map on this site.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:38 pm 
Yeah, I don't know why google maps showed 8 hours at the time, after re-checking it the other day it was only 2 hours. 2~3 hours are just fine as long as the station is close to the tracks.

EDIT: I just checked videos from Aston Hill, and honestly it doesn't seem hard as someone mentioned here earlier. Even the surface 2 air doesn't seem hard either. I think I'm gonna check this one out first.