Forum

Post subject: Where to ride next? Logical progression
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:17 pm 
I have the next few days off work and want to get some riding in some new places I have not been before. I enjoy riding technical singletrack and bit of downhill and a few jumps. I have ridden moslty locally in places like Hainault forest, Epping, Hadleigh Thorndon and Danbury.

I enjoy Epping and Danbury the most especially the runs and jumps etc. I do think I have a bit of a complex about gap jumps at the moment but seem to handle everything else fine, drop downs are not a problem.

So, I'm looking for the next challenge, thinking about where to head next, Thought about PORC, but watching a few youtube vids reveal plenty of gap jumps, some quite large that I dont think I'm quite ready for yet. On the face of it Aston Hill seems a bit tamer. I'd start off with the DH3, then surface to air and possibly work up to the black run and the end. Its only the very end of the black run that looks questionable.

So what do you guys think? Have I missed out a stepping stone somewhere?

And it does not strictly have to be a bike park, I'm gonna try out Langdon Hills tomorrow for the first time just because I have not been there yet. I'm not sure how challenging it will be but it is new :)

Post subject: Re: Where to ride next? Logical progression
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:00 pm 
I think your assessment of PORC is right. Most runs have good size features with gaps. i think Aston would be a great next step. it introduces some steeper terrain but in an environment you can progress through.

Also worth checking out the surrey hills if you get a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:31 am 
Worth going to Bedgeburry or Swinley for trail bike trail center riding as some where new. Surrey hills is brilliant but local knowledge is needed. If you don't mind a drive cannock chase it another brilliant trail center

--------------------------------------
RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:38 pm 
Thanks guys. It sounds like I'm on the right track then. Plan was to head to Aston tomorrow, but at the start of the week I ordered a Pike from the shop I bought my bike and it came in today. So now I have to head out north of Colchester get that fitted and set up along with a shock tune. Hopefully I can still ride in the afternoon but now I'm in the wrong direction to head to Aston :(

Any other options while I'm out that way, or will I end up breaking in the new suspension at Danbury again :)

On a side note Langdon Hills was better than expected today found a few nice little bits of new to me singletrack but all seemed to be short and sweet interspersed with runs accoss fields, could use a local rider as a guide to make the whole big loop first time there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:14 pm 
Been to colchester bike park?
not much up that way really.

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:48 pm 
Good call, I may check it out tomorrow. I will also ask in the shop to see if they have anywhere local they go.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:11 pm 
Well I asked at the shop and they suggested trying out the Viking Trail and handed me a photocopy of a map. I didn't realise it was in Suffolk a further 30 miles up the road until I stuck the address in my sat nav, but thought what the hell, now or never! It was a really nice back drop set in a pine tree forest and I only came accross two other riders the whole time there one of them complaining he had 3 punctures, no problem for myself (tubeless) plowing over the needles. Most of the climbs and decents were relatively low gradients with the exception of a few bomb holes, and thanks to enduro motorbike races being held there in the past I'd say about 95% of the trail corners had mini berms eroded into them from the motor bikes which made for a lovely flow. The trail was fully sign posted, so easy to keep on track and every mile or two you would cross fire roads that would take you back to tarmac roads that run either side of the forest. I good day had and a nice place to check out the new suspension which I am very pleased with :) Aston will have to wait for another day :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:21 pm 
Tunstall! did a MSG a few times there.

Bike piccys!
http://tinyurl.com/okyhpdg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:27 pm 
Viking Trail.. Does it have parking and food..??

Stay on target...!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:25 pm 
Tunstall forest is right :) I spotted two main car parks as I rode around one around the 5th mile marker and one at the start/end. You can park at quite alot of the fire road access points without blocking them and start there too. Didn't spot anywhere local for food though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:23 am 
Chicksands is pretty progressive

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:20 pm 
Yeah Chicksands and Woburn (both close to each other) are on the radar, but sadly I'm back at work now, 7 or 6 day weeks which makes it a bit more awkward to have a day out anywhere now :( Really need to sort out my work/life balance!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:34 pm 
I didn't know Tunstall even existed. Must try that out one day! How does it compare to Thetford Forest?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:41 pm 
Can't realy compare as I've not done Thetford yet. Since posting I have been Surrey Hills 3 times now and really enjoy that, its going to take a while to work out whats where but its slowly coming together.

Still not been Aston either!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:50 pm 
I can recommend building gap jumps to get better at them.