Forum

Post subject: Pedal strike
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:55 pm 
At Bagshot on Sunday, I noticed I was getting a lot of pedal strike whilst pedalling over the small bumps and stuff.

It's also the hardest I have ever pushed myself, the bike and my skills,, so all in, a great learning experience.

Is pedal strike a symptom of the shock setup being wrong or just poor technique?

I have the Cane Creek dbinline CS set at 15% sag and factory recommended tune (which is on the plush side). Should I stiffen it up a little? (oo err missus)

--------------------------------------
Specialized Enduro Comp 2015

Post subject: Pedal strike
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:48 pm 
Somebody will correct me for sure but pedal strike happens when I'm not paying attention and so pedal when I should roll or pump.

If you were running 100% sag as you were pedalling you'd know it coz the bike would be bumping about all over the place.

The terrain on Sunday was fairly undulating, so that would or could have bopped you about a bit but I'd suggest it's nothing to worry about.

That being said somebody will come along in a moment and correct me, probably with reams of technical jargon that really makes no sense to anybody but themselves ;)

And good ride Sunday, looking forward to times today/tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strava Profile: http://goo.gl/iSl5I

Post subject: Re: pedal strike
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:20 pm 
15% sag seems a bit short.. should be in the 20-30 range.

Bad technique usually accounts for most of my pedal strikes. During a ride is the oring showing your getting full travel?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:30 am 
My bad, its 17mm sag which is approx 30%

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:40 am 
30% is a lot for pedaling, Does the shock have any lock out settings?

Bike pics
www.pinkbike.com/u/nwmlarge/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:46 am 
Two things:

When i changed from my meta frame (that has a high bottom bracket) to my banshee (that i have got set in the lowest flip chip geomentry setting so a very very low bottom bracket) i would pedel strick all the time. It took me a good month to get use to the set up and having to plan my pedal rotations to avoid rocks or roots ect. I still do it but a lot less than before. Racing is different to riding as well so, as you said, you was pushing harder than normal so thinking of how you ride probaby went of the window.

I've got the cane creek rear shock on my banshee, i found i would go through it's travel far to easily when i first got it even with 20% sag. I ended up adding bottomless tokon strips to make it bottom out less and there for adjust sag/pressure so it would run at 30% (if i wanted to, i ended up back at 20% as i tend to ride quiet hard for 140mm travel bike).

http://www.tftuned.com/air-volume-tuning-kits/c331

RAF spitfire PEDAL-WORX RACEING

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:38 am 
Thanks.
The shock already has all the factory tune tokens inside.
I might increase HSR a little to firm it up.

The shock has two modes, trail and climb. Pedal strike was happening when in trail mode.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:02 am 
During this race I left my FOX rear shock in Trail, I did set it on Descend setting on stage 4 just after the pylon in the practice lap, but as after that steep bit it went all twisty I left it in Trail for the actual race, as felt it wasn't enough to benefit.

Find I only get pedal strike when negotiating ruts, there where a few on this course but we tended to hit them side on so hopping over them or a brief wheelie helped (was a deep one on stage 4 that slammed your back wheel if got it wrong)

Whyte G-160RS
YETI SB95A

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:35 pm 
30% is a fair bit of sag on a trail bike. Set it to 22.5% and see if you still have issues.